Strange one

Ratsbaby

Hi, this one was found fallen off of the cliffs of Hunstanton, UK

It looks to be some kind of fin? I could be wrong though

The rock is 5cm long at its longest point and the fossil about 1.5cm shorter

Hoping to hear back about it!

20190826_113313.jpg

Looks like it could be part of a shell from some sort of shellfish, probably a bivalve?

Can you post some different angles? There is a white line lower down that could be the cross section through the other valve.

@Doctor Mud i think you may be right, as it certainly doesn't look manmade and there are other limes throughout the rock and it is irregular, ill attach a few more pics of whats there after this one 

20190826_124833.jpg

That was quick!

I would definitely say bivalve or shellfish (mollusc). That is prismatic aragonite by the looks of it and you have a few pieces of shell in sedimentary rock.

I think that red colour is from oxidised iron from weathering of the rock.

@Doctor Mud I did think it may be some kind of shellfish or something like that, i have a few fossils from the same place and there was an abundance of limestone and red Rock just like in the pic 

Thanks for your help!

Do you have photos of your trip? We are always keen to see shots from the field.

There is a special section for it.

sounds like a great place to hunt!

Sorry my mistake I did not read you tags. On second thoughts with your other pictures and knowing the area if I am right it is the red and white cliffs. It does seam to be some sort of shell material. When I am home I will look into my books . All the best Bobby 

• 2 years later...

Red chalk formation, Inoceramus fragment,very common in the upper horizon of the bed. The cross section  of the shell is very diagnostic in identification.

Steve

• I found this Informative 1