Teozbenny

Is this an insect or fly?

Teozbenny

Hi I found this at walton on the naze in the uk around a week ago. If I remember rightly it was among the london clay. I thought it was wood so put it in my bag but After drying out and leaving for a few days I've noticed what looks like a fly or insect or maybe a fish scale? I'm not even sure if this piece is wood or bone or what? Any help much appreciated thank you.

Teozbenny

20190826_154536.jpg

Teozbenny

20190826_154542.jpg

Teozbenny

Are these bite Mark's?

20190826_154525.jpg

Teozbenny

20190826_154513.jpg

Teozbenny

20190826_154501.jpg

fifbrindacier

Hi, i think this isn't a fly. It looks geologic to me.

Let's wait for other opinions.

Cheers

Sophie

20190826_154513.jpg.585f530fd9fb3db7e60c99be7749de06[1].jpg

JohnBrewer

I think geological too. 

Mark Kmiecik

It can't be an insect or a fly because if it was either it would have to be both. Simple logic. :zzzzscratchchin:

Rockwood

I think it's an external mold of a piece of wood. The insect shape being a natural feature of bark near (under) a branching point or place where the tree had an unusual shape.

Teozbenny

If it was wood though I'm confused how it would be different to all the other things that I also found including wood. On the back section there is a scrape and a hole and inside the hole I can see what looks like a the end piece of a broken tooth. That's why I was thinking it was bone. I was walking around looking through some red crag actually and got chatting to another guy and he was like oh this is coprolite and picked it up explained what coprolite is as I didnt know. So yeah confused how he said coprolite and other people saying wood. I got several pie es of wood that day and this is nothing like any of them.

Teozbenny

And mark I meant was it a fly or a different kind of insect. Sarcasm is the lowest form of with by the way :P

Rockwood
36 minutes ago, Teozbenny said:

If it was wood though I'm confused how it would be different to all the other things that I also found including wood. On the back section there is a scrape and a hole and inside the hole I can see what looks like a the end piece of a broken tooth. That's why I was thinking it was bone. I was walking around looking through some red crag actually and got chatting to another guy and he was like oh this is coprolite and picked it up explained what coprolite is as I didnt know. So yeah confused how he said coprolite and other people saying wood. I got several pie es of wood that day and this is nothing like any of them.

My thought is that the other features are trace fossils in the matrix. Note that I think it's a mold of wood. There would be nearly no actual preserved wood there.

Perhaps @Carl is around  for an opinion on the coprolite idea ? I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Teozbenny

Thanks rockwood

Mark Kmiecik
20 hours ago, Teozbenny said:

And mark I meant was it a fly or a different kind of insect. Sarcasm is the lowest form of with by the way :P

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I am dead serious. Your statement is contradictory and illogical. Precision is key in all fields of science; without it there is no science.

Bobby Rico

I with rockwood it looks like pet wood natural features.

fifbrindacier
22 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Simply false.

It is eminently possible to be an insect without being a fly.

Agreed.

Mark Kmiecik
On 8/27/2019 at 8:47 PM, Rockwood said:

Simply false.

It is eminently possible to be an insect without being a fly.

Not for me! Inevitably, when I become an insect, it is a fly. You've probably seen my movies. :heartylaugh:Unfortunately, in this case, insect or fly are the only choices available.

Carl

Coprolite is a possibility but there really isn't enough detail to be certain of that.