Welsh Wizard

Hi

Here is an interesting fossil. I purchased this as an unprepped, probable iguanodon toe bone. Now I’m well into the prep, I’m not so sure that it’s a tie bone but I think I know what it is. Any suggestions welcome.

BA96C3CF-A4B3-4041-9974-3A7F2CEB7D98.thumb.jpeg.adce3db8c8240fd54f25d6f6c95319f1.jpeg

Thanks

Nick

@dhiggi and @Troodon - thanks for the replies.

I’m not sure but I was thinking it’s possibly the hinge from an iguanodon’s jaw or part of the ilium. What do you think?

Its not a straight bone and you can just about make out from the first picture that is flares out on the end.

I’m no expert on dinosaurs, but I see a lot of animal bones at work and it just reminded me of the shape of the joint end of a scapula. Is the flared end at all concave?

30 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

I’m no expert on dinosaurs, but I see a lot of animal bones at work and it just reminded me of the shape of the joint end of a scapula. Is the flared end at all concave?

Hi. I know what you mean. I’ll do some more prep and post some more pics as it progresses. There’s a twist in the bone as well.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Quite strange. It does superficially resemble an iguanodontid toe bone, especially in the first photo. But I think what would be the distal end of the toe doesn't match. So I don't think it's a toe bone. It doesn't exactly seem like a long limb bone either due to the slender middle but it flares out again at both ends. I would expect it to only flare out on one side if it was a partial dinosaur limb bone.

It does look like there's some possible jaw elements there. Does it at all seem like the two pieces belong together? Or are they two separate bones in one matrix chunk?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

@Haravex and @LordTrilobite

thanks for the replies. Definitely some bit of jaw there. I’m still thinking hinge and part of the jaw immediately coming off the hinge that’s folded back on itself.

Heres a picture end on. May not help as still exposing bone

40D0C45E-E5F6-4927-8B04-FE772B56A063.thumb.jpeg.6aee2c51dfae96c020954312803804f3.jpeg