Egg or Coprolite or Something Else?

Tieherlando

I picked this up in a second hand store of all places her in south(Coastal) Alabama, so I  don't know where it originally came from.

I've never seen anything even similar around here.

It's a decent size...about  4.5" x 2.5" x 3.75" (114mm x 63mm x 95mm) and seems heavy for it's size...21.6oz (614g).

Whatever it is, it appears to have petrified bones or fragments (looks more like whole bones) inside it. It's asymmetrical in shape with a textured outer surface and some holes

that show some of the inside.

The coin in some  of the pics is 1 inch(25mm) across and some of the photos were taken of the item wet to show color better.

I have a lapidary saw and was thinking about cutting it open, but I'm afraid I'd ruin it if it was a fossil that was better left intact.

I know I don't have much information to go on but any help identifying it greatly appreciated.

resize1.jpg

resize2.jpg

resize3.jpg

resize4.jpg

resize5.jpg

resize6.jpg

resize7.jpg

You have a piece of agate, I think.  I'd slab it to see what pattern it might have inside.  BTW, welcome to TFF

• I found this Informative 1

Hey grandpa!

Thank you for responding so quickly... Agate? Cool :-) I'll fire up my saw this weekend and cut it. I'll post a pic of it here after I cut it.

Oh and thank you for the welcome!

Hey grandpa!

Thank you for responding so quickly... Agate? Cool :-) I'll fire up my saw this weekend and cut it. I'll post a pic of it here after I cut it.

Oh and thank you for the welcome!

Looks very similar to many of the agates/jaspers I've picked up in S.Tx.  Nice little pocket of crystals as an added bonus.  I bet that was a surprise.  And just think you were the first human being to ever see that and discover it.  Isn't this hobby a kick!