Venice scuba finds

FLfossils

Had a nice day of diving off Venice. Lots of broken and small teeth, but the highlights were definitely this nice 4” and chunky 5.5”.

ED5C76F7-CE0B-49A4-9958-BA7BBB8FBADC.jpeg

94C0796A-CD11-4FBE-8FF3-CF282063E41B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

Are there specific areas to dive there that produce fossils, like some of the spots off the coast of North Carolina, or is it just random?

Very nice, that 4 incher is really sweet:yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

that 4-incher is gorgeous. More up close images of it? 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

3 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

that 4-incher is gorgeous. More up close images of it? 

Just needs some of the marine growth cleaned off

759ED4DC-F0D4-4B92-A258-70312ABAE36D.jpeg

EF8445F6-0F7F-4D9A-94B6-744D9F570061.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Are there specific areas to dive there that produce fossils, like some of the spots off the coast of North Carolina, or is it just random?

Anywhere off Venice in the 20-30’ depth range is best. The waves can expose teeth or move them anywhere. But certain types of bottom usually have more teeth. I prefer reef or areas with lots of rubble because the teeth usually get caught up in the rocks. I found these an area with a mix of shell and rock

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds. Gotta like the serrations on that 4" tooth. 

I'm hoping to dive off Venice Beach when I'm down there this winter. About how long was your swim from the beach? I would like to do a day of shore diving and a day from one of the charter boats.

10 hours ago, Barnaby'sdad said:

Nice finds. Gotta like the serrations on that 4" tooth. 

I'm hoping to dive off Venice Beach when I'm down there this winter. About how long was your swim from the beach? I would like to do a day of shore diving and a day from one of the charter boats.

I dive on one of the charters, I think it’s more productive than shore diving. I’ve done shore diving once and the swim wasn’t bad, but I spent most the time trying to find good bottom. But I have heard of people finding nice teeth from shore.

10 hours ago, FLfossils said:

I dive on one of the charters, I think it’s more productive than shore diving. I’ve done shore diving once and the swim wasn’t bad, but I spent most the time trying to find good bottom. But I have heard of people finding nice teeth from shore.

That's part for the course from what I've heard over on ScubaBoard. I thought going from the shore ( I enjoy shore diving) might be cool if there's a shot at finding a good spot.

It would probably make more sense to just hit the 'Easy' button and pay for a charter. 

Depending on how productive you are, it would suck to have to swim back to shore with a few pounds of teeth. My last load off NC...I had to ADD air to my wing to get off the deck, lol.