MD/VA Shark Teeth Hunting Technique? ex. Calvert, Brownie's, Westmoreland, etc.

Barnaby'sdad

Good afternoon. Are there any techniques that are useful in finding larger (3/4"+) teeth on MD/VA beaches? 

I've been teeth diving down in SC and NC, so I get the whole "if you want big teeth, look for big rocks, shells, etc." thing.  Does that concept translate in some way to searching for shark teeth from local beaches?  ex. Feel for 'x' type of material/muck/clay consistency? 

I've gotten fairly good at finding x < 3/4" teeth (ex. High tide line material, stuff at/near the "shelf"/drop off from the beach, etc.) . My last trip out...I found my first tooth in literally the first sifter load of material.  I gave a few away to passersby and still ended up with 40+.  I eventually got bored with it and just started experimenting with sifting through material from other areas of the beach, with varying degrees of success.

Any thoughts/recommendations?  I've got a spot that I'd like to hit again. Just curious on if there's a better/more efficient method of searching. Thank you.

OK, first off get yourself a really big backpack and sifting screen...

20190828_095928.png

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

OK, first off get yourself a really big backpack and sifting screen...

20190828_095928.png

:D  That's what I was thinking...need to move & sift through more material.  I've got some ideas on that for next time. 

Most of what I have seen on here mentions to go at the onset of low tide. Timing can be everything with these places.

Most people walk the cliffs/shore/Shell/gravel areas, keeping an eye in the surf for those black triangles. 

You probably shouldn't get your hopes up for really big teeth, as they are more rare.  Good luck. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's when you are not looking for them is when they show up.

Clear your mind, think how pretty the sea shells are and you'll fill your pockets with huge teeth. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

28 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Most of what I have seen on here mentions to go at the onset of low tide. Timing can be everything with these places.

Most people walk the cliffs/shore/Shell/gravel areas, keeping an eye in the surf for those black triangles. 

You probably shouldn't get your hopes up for really big teeth, as they are more rare.  Good luck. :) 

Agreed. I'm not expecting to find huge teeth on a beach. I just thought it would be cool to find one that's 1"+.

The timing is important there. I think that's why I did as good as I did last time out...I got there about two hours before low tide and searched for a few hours.  

23 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It's when you are not looking for them is when they show up.

Clear your mind, think how pretty the sea shells are and you'll fill your pockets with huge teeth. ;)

I'll give that a try the next time out. That and I think I won't keep my eyes peeled for every tiny tooth that's just big enough to not fall through the screen.

3 hours ago, Barnaby'sdad said:

I think I won't keep my eyes peeled for every tiny tooth that's just big enough to not fall through the screen.

Man, I hate it when my eyes peel, it really stings! :D

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Something like this would really help.

1773.jpg

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Current sifter on the left. Upgraded deeper and wider sifter on the right. Going to attach noodles to the new one today.

FC718D84-335B-47DF-BF44-FB896F5C4B58.jpeg

Lol. Was thinking that more material sifted through would result in more teeth which might eventually result in a bigger tooth.

That and as shallow as the old one is...I guarantee that I've lost stuff over the side.

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

Bigger sifter = bigger teeth, right?

Mathematics don't lie.

That's why I recommended the red/white/blue sifter in the photo I posted. Should find some REALLY BIG ones with that sifter!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!