I Have No Idea What This Is.

tracer

post-488-12568611866027_thumb.jpg

post-488-12568611964021_thumb.jpg

i am beginning to write a book about fossils, focusing exclusively on ones i know nothing about. the title is going to be "once upon a time in the confusedocene"

these two pictures will be on the cover. unless you help id them first.

Stomach lining of white tail deer They got his heart over at that treasure hunting forum

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Jeeez, could ya have found an older penny? I think it's mineral. Reminds me of the forms you see on Devils tower.

I really want to say that this is some sort of plant fossil. You're welcome for the very specific identification.

I really want to say that this is some sort of plant fossil. You're welcome for the very specific identification.

well, i thought that too, but in thinking about it, the huge voids and the tiny "walls" of the structure combine with the apparently large cross-section of what the entire size would be to make it pretty weird, like it wouldn't be structurally strong enough as an upright "plant" of some sort. the individual round "rods" look like sedimentary infill. they appear to be the same material as the matrix outside the fossil area. the very thin "walls" or "web" of the thing looks crystalline, like it formed from quartz or calcite replacement. and then the outer "wall" of the thing looks like it would have been almost perfectly circular, but it too is thin.

so i don't know. but like any mystery, i want to figure it out.

anyway, here's the consolation contest. what are these pennsylvanian (not the state, the timeframe) wigglers?

post-488-12568993577608_thumb.jpg

post-488-12568611866027_thumb.jpg

post-488-12568611964021_thumb.jpg

i am beginning to write a book about fossils, focusing exclusively on ones i know nothing about. the title is going to be "once upon a time in the confusedocene"

these two pictures will be on the cover. unless you help id them first.

lol man that an odd piece kinda reminds me of a starfish arm lol call it tracerasaurus lol or jesterasaurus lol no idea on that one but its neat looking

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

The first one, the face, reminds me of WY Stromatolite..........But it's not due to the rod thingies.

The second one, I'd love to know because I have some just like that.

Hope this has been helpful. :wacko:

Tracer..... the first one is confusing.... I love it.... The second.... could it be fragmentary rootlets in the seat earth.....a layer of sediments representing the floor of the forest prior to the coal layer forming....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

devonian!? heck, that's like...<doing the math in his head> three billion years older than anything within a thousand miles of me...

well I was trying to look up Pennsylvanian stuff for your second photo which is only 50my or so from the Devonian, close enough don't ya think. So where and what age is your first fossil from?

well I was trying to look up Pennsylvanian stuff for your second photo which is only 50my or so from the Devonian, close enough don't ya think. So where and what age is your first fossil from?

um, i don't know... <bursting into tears and running from the room>

It's ok Tracer, come back! They find them in Nevada to and isn't it all downhill from there to the gulf of Mexico! Maybe your Hexagonaria (sp.?) just rolled right on down with some brisk Santa Ana winds!

Hi Tracer

Your 2nd. specimen looks marine to me, I think its one of the Bryophyta group,maybe Riccia cf. Fluitans. Paul

It looks like early Philadelphia Mint...Possibly, San Fran or Denver.

Was it near that rock when you dug it up?

We agree w/ the others...it looks kinda like a penny

Rob & Katie

iKatlin.com

Hey Tracer.

Thanks, any good on the ID of your finds. Paul

no, but it's ok. although i really want to know what everything is, i'm fairly used to having things that are not identified. and some of the things i post i sort of know going in aren't particularly likely to get definitive answers, but i sort of feel people might like seeing them, because i really enjoy the i.d. section myself.