Suchomimus vs. spinosaurus

Still_human

Does anyone have any specific way(s) to tell the difference between suchomimus teeth and spinosaurus teeth? I know there's an eventual size difference, but that only helps if the tooth is too big to be from a sucho.

Suchomimus is thus far only known from Niger while Spinosaurus is mainly known from Egypt and Morocco.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with @WhodamanHD. They lived in different areas. 

Also, Suchomimus is a species within the subfamily of Baryonychinae, while Spinosaurus is a species within Spinosaurinae.

Baryonychinae have very small serrations on their teeth. These are absent on the teeth of Spinosaurinae.

• I found this Informative 2

Agree the basic morphological difference is Small marginal serrations see photo but other characteristics also come to play a granular enamel texture and more conical in shape, all typical of Baryonychinae

Screenshot_20190828-130428_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d0bb6065f6cc2dbc8e9395c3afb548f0.jpg

Image from my post

We also do not know if there is a difference between Sigilmassasaurus teeth and a indet Spinosaurus in the Kem Kem.

As the others have said, they lived in different areas.

Stromer originally described Spinosaurus aegyptiacus teeth as lacking serrations on their keels. As Troodon pointed out, Suchomimus does have serrations on it's keels/carinae/edges.

There are a few different morphotypes of Spinosaurid teeth present in the Kem Kem beds. And we don't exactly know which belongs to which. There's some teeth that are smooth and some that have some longitudinal ridges on one or both sides. Most of the teeth have smooth carinae that lack serrations. But there are some teeth that seem to have a hint of serrations.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The Kem Kem beds are actually comprised of three formations:  Akrabou,  Aoufous and Ifezouane Formation.  The latter two are the dinosaur producing sediments with the Ifezouane being the principal one. 

Fig-1-A-Geographical-and-stratigraphic-locations-of-the-three-track-localities.thumb.jpg.51f2a2d0a756b9bf92af0bdaa85fb880.jpg.7c76b18fca59d340c05ad4cfd60c7ce1.jpg

8 hours ago, Still_human said:

"Albian/Cenomanian Tegana formation "

Fossils from Kem Kem are sometimes incorrectly attributed to "Tegana formation", which is really not a thing. It's a misspelling of an actual formation from Niger. The Elrhaz formation is part of the Tegama group.

On 28/08/2019 at 7:59 PM, Still_human said:

Does anyone have any specific way(s) to tell the difference between suchomimus teeth and spinosaurus teeth? I know there's an eventual size difference, but that only helps if the tooth is too big to be from a sucho.

Here is a pic I have to hand of my 4 Spinosauridae type teeth. The biggest being spinosaurus and the suchomimus is the second smallest tooth. Most suchomimus teeth tend to be a jet black colour, however you do get ones like mine which have the wrinkled enamel and fine serrations in this beautiful lighter colour. If you want more differences I’m happy to take some close ups later on 

55D862D1-A4E8-423E-8D5F-53A45BAD8A48.jpeg

B7F7C47B-56D2-47DC-BDEE-BBDE111F257B.jpeg

@paulyb135 Nice spinosaur teeth. What is the ID of the fourth tooth? If you have time, could you take pictures of the serrations on the suchomimus and baryonyx teeth? Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

@paulyb135 Nice spinosaur teeth. What is the ID of the fourth tooth? If you have time, could you take pictures of the serrations on the suchomimus and baryonyx teeth? Thanks. 

That tooth is Siamosaurus.

here are a few close ups. You can see them clearer on the suchomimus. My phone isn’t the best and it’s harder to see in photos of the baryonyx. I do however have some high tech photos from the previous owner but these aren’t for the public eye. Happy to send via PM if you like thoughDA197834-E268-4647-A078-B33BC87E5A65.jpeg.7e2be5af8186dbd3a81491606c7a7b85.jpeg

E96D1AC7-9E1F-430C-B07D-372A8A38E984.jpeg

3A356200-1D40-4402-B060-58443A6ACD47.jpeg

09D532FF-E490-4311-9C68-52D1B8D324EE.jpeg

FBDF0709-2845-4FC3-B888-9C58DCC42FAC.jpeg

15 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Fossils from Kem Kem are sometimes incorrectly attributed to "Tegana formation", which is really not a thing. It's a misspelling of an actual formation from Niger. The Elrhaz formation is part of the Tegama group.

So if a tooth is claimed to have come from "TegaNa", that means TegaMa, which is in Niger, which is where suchomimus are found, and not spinosaurus, right?

Please take a look at my post from above

"identification of teeth from Niger"

Suchomimus teeth are found in the Elrhaz Formation and all that I've seen sold use that descriptor.   I've only seen Tegana Fm used in reference to Kem Kem material.  I have never seen Tegama group used to reference any material.

Most Spinosaurid teeth from the Kem Kem have an mesial and distal carina. Some may be worn and hard to see.

47 minutes ago, Still_human said:

So if a tooth is claimed to have come from "TegaNa", that means TegaMa, which is in Niger, which is where suchomimus are found, and not spinosaurus, right?

As Troodon said, Tegana is generally used in the context of Kem Kem. So when something says Tegana it usually just means Kem Kem and no specific formation. Most of the time it will also say it's from Morocco. And while some sellers may get specific details wrong, generally they get the country right most of the time. This is also likely because Kem Kem material is much more common on the market.

Luckily the preservation of the Kem Kem beds is also pretty recognisable.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:22 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Suchomimus is thus far only known from Niger while Spinosaurus is mainly known from Egypt and Morocco.

Thats extremely helpful! I think most of the "suchomimus" teeth Ive seen available for some time now have been labeled as kem kem, or another Moroccan area. 

5 hours ago, Still_human said:

.......C'mon evolution, why can't u just make it easier for us?!?

Because nature doesn't care about our existence.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:24 AM, LordTrilobite said:

Because nature doesn't care about our existence.

C'mon nature, be cool!