Rare Whitby Double Hildoceras

DanJeavs

The species Hildoceras are a relatively common ammonite along the Yorkshire coast, they were my favourite when I first started collecting, and can range from all sorts of sizes. I have ones that are less than an inch, to 6 inches, though there are people who have found 9 inch monsters. Usually, they’re found solitary in rounded nodules and that’s about it, so last year when I found a nodule that looked like a double I was thrilled! As per, the block was covered in horrible pyrite, making prep a pain in the butt. I finally finished it recently and it’s a beauty. Some really odd colours amongst the pyrite that I can’t say I have ever come across. This one now proudly sits in my collection. 

7132ABFE-9A86-4601-B445-378C070A6ABA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

You guys are my heroes .... honestly. Looks like some wicked hard rock. I know I'd make a mess of things. 

Cheers,

B

10 hours ago, RJB said:

Very nice my friend, if I had prepped that out it would be in my collection too!  Nice job.

RB

:D thanks for the kind words bud!

2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

You guys are my heroes .... honestly. Looks like some wicked hard rock. I know I'd make a mess of things. 

Cheers,

B

Haha :laugh2:i don’t really know about other places that much, but when it comes to Yorkshire matrix, I’d say it’s up there with the hardest, the variation from piece to piece, iv had stuff that prep in know time, and others that run into stupid hours

49 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Well done. Did you count the hours?

I didn’t I’m afraid, if I had to guess, maybe just under 10 hours

• I found this Informative 1