Any Hybodus head horn pics out there?

Still_human

Does anyone have, or can find, a picture of a fossil of the head horns of hybodus? Not the fin spines, but their "devil horns". I can't find any pictures of them that include visible horns...or at least that I can make out.

These should help you a little I think. This will give you the basic idea of what the cephalic hook (spines) look like in Hybodonts. You may be able to find a few more, search Hybodont cephalic spine, hook, or clasper. I have seen them referred to as all three. There is also a really nice one currently on online from England that gives you a great idea of what they look like. I believe the njfossils.net site might help you too.

cephalic spine.png

cephalic spine 1.jpg

Hybodont-spines-and-Ptychodus-tooth-from-the-Eutaw-Formation-at-Luxapalila-Creek.png

• I found this Informative 2

43 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

These should help you a little I think. This will give you the basic idea of what the cephalic hook (spines) look like in Hybodonts. You may be able to find a few more, search Hybodont cephalic spine, hook, or clasper. I have seen them referred to as all three. There is also a really nice one currently on online from England that gives you a great idea of what they look like. I believe the njfossils.net site might help you too.

cephalic spine.png

cephalic spine 1.jpg

Hybodont-spines-and-Ptychodus-tooth-from-the-Eutaw-Formation-at-Luxapalila-Creek.png

"Clasper"? I'm surprised anyone uses that as a term for them, especially in the scientific community, cause sharks already have "claspers", and I think that's the only true scientific term for THOSE...other than genitalia...and the many other general, and slang terms, I guess. 

You should see Falcatus falcatus, very strange cephalic claspers. 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Still_human said:

"Clasper"? I'm surprised anyone uses that as a term for them, especially in the scientific community, cause sharks already have "claspers", and I think that's the only true scientific term for THOSE...other than genitalia...and the many other general, and slang terms, I guess. 

Male Chimeras have cephalic claspers so that is a true scientific term however that website is the only place I have seen that term used for Hybodontids. I only put it out there as an additional term to use if you search for images. 

I do not know if only male Hybodontidae had them so I can not comment on how accurate that is. 

On 8/29/2019 at 9:30 PM, WhodamanHD said:

You should see Falcatus falcatus, very strange cephalic claspers. 

yeah, that's a weird looking fella!

On 8/29/2019 at 8:07 PM, Randyw said:

Ummmmmm yes the claspers are only on males...

Lol yes, that part I DID know. I didn't know they were sexual in nature, or called claspers, though. I'm still surprised they call horns and such "claspers" however, since the claspers are also the actual male genitalia. So a male of some shark species have 2 seperate things called claspers...strange.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, aplomado said:

Here is one my daughter found in Alabama:

(yes I am bragging on her!)

bone 1.jpg

bone 2.jpg

That's beautiful!!!! There's every reason to brag!

24 minutes ago, Still_human said:

Lol yes, that part I DID know. I didn't know they were sexual in nature, or called claspers, though. I'm still surprised they call horns and such "claspers" however, since the claspers are also the actual male genitalia. So a male of some shark species have 2 seperate things called claspers...strange.

B3368B3E-ABDF-4D83-8DDB-3DD9B6C8049F.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Randyw said:

B3368B3E-ABDF-4D83-8DDB-3DD9B6C8049F.jpeg

So I guess these spikes and hooks and stuff are called clasper SPURS. THAT makes much more sense to me. It makes perfect sense to me that they're also clasper spurs do to function, it still just comes off as strange to me calling something on a sharks head a clasper anything.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, aplomado said:

Here is one my daughter found in Alabama:

(yes I am bragging on her!)

bone 1.jpg

bone 2.jpg

Brag away !! That is a fantastic find. Good for your daughter :)

14 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

we found a realy nice one last year in Wight:

IMG_20180809_210552.thumb.jpg.15f579aaaf77ddd41af6ebd36178607e.jpg

That is gorgeous !!

On 9/3/2019 at 10:08 AM, Manticocerasman said:

Oh wow, yeah, that's incredible!!!

On 9/3/2019 at 7:08 AM, Manticocerasman said:

That is a fantastic specimen and self-collected!  Nice!  These spines are very fragile so they are difficult to find in good condition.  I have a couple of isolated, smaller ones from the Hell Creek Formation (Maastrichtian), Buffalo area, South Dakota.  One is missing most of the spine but has the base; the other has the spine but is missing some of the base.

• I found this Informative 2