Vertebra, vertebrae or I give up

CluelessAboutFossils

Today in north texas I found this piece that appears to be fish vertebrae (possibly 2?)… what do y’all think

B337CC64-23DB-4DDE-A989-03E1F84B66C0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks geologic to me; I see nothing that says "fossil" to my eyes.  But you are hunting in a good area to find some interesting fossils and artifacts.

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, grandpa said:

Looks geologic to me; I see nothing that says "fossil" to my eyes.  But you are hunting in a good area to find some interesting fossils and artifacts.

It probably is geological now that I look at it. All of the other stuff (shark, horse, and Crocodilian teeth, normal vertebra, bivalves, baculite, etc) way easy to ID, but I’m fairly inexperienced with fossils overall 

1 minute ago, CluelessAboutFossils said:

I’m fairly inexperienced with fossils overall

Neat!  We all started out that way.  You are in there pitching and asking the right questions to gain more knowledge.  Soon you'll have the eye to distinguish fossils from non-fossils and the experience to ID the fossils you find.  Helping you get there is part of what TFF exists for.

• I found this Informative 3

I've seen concretions form in a stack this way before. I'm not sure what causes it, but they do resemble vertebrae.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Vertebra, or I give up
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, grandpa said:

Neat!  We all started out that way.  You are in there pitching and asking the right questions to gain more knowledge.  Soon you'll have the eye to distinguish fossils from non-fossils and the experience to ID the fossils you find.  Helping you get there is part of what TFF exists for.

So...it doesn't drive you all nuts if a person has a lot of pictures of things they need help id'ing? :D

1 hour ago, JennLRM said:

So...it doesn't drive you all nuts if a person has a lot of pictures of things they need help id'ing? :D

Well, your question assumes that we all are not already nuts to start with, a position that many might dispute.  :blink:

But NO, it's not an annoyance to get posts with many pictures; some of us (MOST of us?) find the enjoyment in living vicariously through the fossils others find and show.  (We're likely the same folks who enjoy visiting museums.)  Some of us (MOST of us?) are here to teach and learn from each other and the contributions of our members via posts with photos - lots or few - offers up the laboratory for such activities.  And some of us (MOST of us?) simply like pretty photos and/or a good mystery.  So, PLEASE, bring on the photos.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:33 PM, CluelessAboutFossils said:

It probably is geological now that I look at it. All of the other stuff (shark, horse, and Crocodilian teeth, normal vertebra, bivalves, baculite, etc) way easy to ID, but I’m fairly inexperienced with fossils overall 

We all start clueless! Stick around though. There are some awesome people on this forum who are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. Joining this site is one of the best things to have happened to me on the internet. I learn something new from these great folks every time I log in.