digit

September 2019 - Finds of the Month Entries

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on SEPTEMBER 30, 2019

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the topic is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find

(Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

digit
5 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

There is nothing very special about it, its just a nice specimen for the formation and I just like it :).

And that's reason enough. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

FossilNerd
27 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

There is nothing very special about it, its just a nice specimen for the formation and I just like it :).

I like it too! Rudists were such odd little creatures. Not something I find locally, but I Find them fascinating. :wub:

MeargleSchmeargl
2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

As many members of TFF seem to be shy entering the first FOTM candidate:headscratch:

Not shy, just getting my competitors together! I'll have something for you to look at soon! ;)

D.N.FossilmanLithuania

At first, two my invertebrate fossils for FOTM.

Found 09/11/2019

Sphenothallus problematic fossil (possible medusozoan)

Locality: Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania.

P1010829.JPG

D.N.FossilmanLithuania

And the last find for FOTM.

Found 09/02/2019

Locality: Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania.

Glyptopomus tetrapodomorph fish skull fraction.

glyptopomus 2.jpg

MeargleSchmeargl

Time for my first entry whilst in college!

Date of discovery: 9/7/19

Scientific/Common Name: Alethopteris fern frond

Geologic age/formation: Pennsylvanian Pottsville formation (~320 MYA)

5d7f1851f3a2c__IMG_000000_000000(18).thumb.jpg.9e44f870d9519ba52fe17f5c84295424.jpg

5d7f184ee5b3b__IMG_000000_000000(19).thumb.jpg.72857555260155432bd2545cf4bdff21.jpg

MeargleSchmeargl

As For a second entry...

Date of discovery: 9/7/19

Scientific/Common Name: Neuropteris fern frond with second frond (Alethopteris?) on the back

Geologic age/formation: Pennsylvanian Pottsville formation (~320 MYA)

5d7f1977bc3de__IMG_000000_000000(17).thumb.jpg.39c271a8d5fafa8939aa65485d59f8c6.jpg  5d7f1aa34d858__IMG_000000_000000(20).thumb.jpg.5c0a0b3a6d4c385e40ccc7af1fc7eaa8.jpg

Back:

5d7f1afeb3702__IMG_000000_000000(21).thumb.jpg.1d230c36478be6a93510ee1ace12a382.jpg

Coco

Hi,

Oh ! Marvelous ! It’s so much like the current species !

Coco

FossilDAWG
On 9/19/2019 at 2:37 AM, Wrangellian said:

OK, given that my trilobite last month didn't win, and people seem to like ammonites, here is my entry for this month!

Just got it glued back together aside from one piece that I am holding in place for the photos, because it is unfortunately missing one little piece in the middle that held the little 'turret' protoconch, and I don't want to glue it fully back together in the off-chance that I might find that piece if I go back up there (a very off chance, but you never know. Probably it is disintegrated after the last couple weeks of rain).

Date of Discovery: September 1, 2019

Name: Heteromorph ammonite Glyptoxoceras subcompressum(?)

Age and Formation: Santonian, Haslam

Locality: Mt. Tzuhalem, Vancouver Island, Canada

Wow, that seems pretty large for the species!  I only found one with the helical part ("turret"), I think they often broke off, maybe even when the animal was still alive.  BTW the protoconch was the first chamber; the helical whorls include quite a bit beyond the protoconch stage.

Don

Wrangellian

Thanks for clearing that up.

I've got the sense that there are at least 2 species - someone pointed out that there seem to be 2 varieties of what we call G. subcompressum, and they might be separate species (if someone ever gets around to doing the work). One is 6-shaped, like the one above, and the other has overlapping circular whorls like this one:

[Note to Ken: this is not another entry, I found this one a long time ago!]

Glyptox(circular)-3views.jpg

digit
1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

[Note to Ken: this is not another entry, I found this one a long time ago!]

Got it. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken