September 2019 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on SEPTEMBER 30, 2019

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the topic is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find

(Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

As many members of TFF seem to be shy entering the first FOTM candidate:headscratch:, I will start the challenge with the fuzzy rudist in the lower left corner of the last pic of this topic:

The next "objet d´art" from St. Bartholomä

Its a rather nicely weathered fragment of a Hippurites nabresinensis with nicely exposed pillars (at 3:00 and 5:00). However, the pillar and shell at 3:00 were badly dinged some time ago. But the dinged area is not very distracting in person, it just ads, ehm, character ;). As a bonus, there are two other partial rudists, perhaps of the same species, intergrown with the complete one. There is nothing very special about it, its just a nice specimen for the formation and I just like it :).

Franz Bernhard

Date of Discovery: 09/03/2019

Name: Rudist Hippurites nabresinensis Futterer, 1893

Age and Formation: Campanian; St. Bartholomä-formation

Locality: St. Bartholomä, Styria, Austria

HippuritesNabresinensis_38_4307_kompr.thumb.jpg.60f80a2125291f931b6d601367670174.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

5 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

There is nothing very special about it, its just a nice specimen for the formation and I just like it :).

And that's reason enough. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

27 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

There is nothing very special about it, its just a nice specimen for the formation and I just like it :).

I like it too! Rudists were such odd little creatures. Not something I find locally, but I Find them fascinating. :wub:

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

As many members of TFF seem to be shy entering the first FOTM candidate:headscratch:

Not shy, just getting my competitors together! I'll have something for you to look at soon! ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Here is my submission for FOTM. This is one of the coolest fossils I have ever found. It's a upper and lower peccary jaw section (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). Found on 9/4/19 at the Royal Peacock Opal Mine, Humboldt County Nevada. The geologic age is Miocene, found in the opal bearing bentonite clay layer.

Jesse

jawpp__7510431.jpg

jawpp__7510436.jpg

jawpp__7510438.jpg

jawpp__7510442.jpg

• I found this Informative 16

At first, two my invertebrate fossils for FOTM.

Found 09/11/2019

Sphenothallus problematic fossil (possible medusozoan)

Locality: Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania.

P1010829.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

The other find of invertebrate

Found 09/04/2019

Obornella sp. gastropod

P1010885.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

The vertebrate find for FOTM. 

Found 09/08/2019

Lungfish scale (Dipnoi indet.) 

dipnoi 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

And the last find for FOTM.

Found 09/02/2019

Glyptopomus tetrapodomorph fish skull fraction.

glyptopomus 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Time for my first entry whilst in college!

Date of discovery: 9/7/19

Scientific/Common Name: Alethopteris fern frond

Geologic age/formation: Pennsylvanian Pottsville formation (~320 MYA)

5d7f1851f3a2c__IMG_000000_000000(18).thumb.jpg.9e44f870d9519ba52fe17f5c84295424.jpg

5d7f184ee5b3b__IMG_000000_000000(19).thumb.jpg.72857555260155432bd2545cf4bdff21.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

As For a second entry...

Date of discovery: 9/7/19

Scientific/Common Name: Neuropteris fern frond with second frond (Alethopteris?) on the back

Geologic age/formation: Pennsylvanian Pottsville formation (~320 MYA)

5d7f1977bc3de__IMG_000000_000000(17).thumb.jpg.39c271a8d5fafa8939aa65485d59f8c6.jpg  5d7f1aa34d858__IMG_000000_000000(20).thumb.jpg.5c0a0b3a6d4c385e40ccc7af1fc7eaa8.jpg

Back:

5d7f1afeb3702__IMG_000000_000000(21).thumb.jpg.1d230c36478be6a93510ee1ace12a382.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

OK, given that my trilobite last month didn't win, and people seem to like ammonites, here is my entry for this month!

Just got it glued back together aside from one piece that I am holding in place for the photos, because it is unfortunately missing one little piece in the middle that held the little 'turret' protoconch, and I don't want to glue it fully back together in the off-chance that I might find that piece if I go back up there (a very off chance, but you never know. Probably it is disintegrated after the last couple weeks of rain).

Date of Discovery: September 1, 2019

Name: Heteromorph ammonite Glyptoxoceras subcompressum(?)

Age and Formation: Santonian, Haslam

Locality: Mt. Tzuhalem, Vancouver Island, Canada

Glyptox1.jpg

Glyptox3.jpg

• I found this Informative 15

Hi,

Oh ! Marvelous ! It’s so much like the current species !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 9/19/2019 at 2:37 AM, Wrangellian said:

OK, given that my trilobite last month didn't win, and people seem to like ammonites, here is my entry for this month!

Just got it glued back together aside from one piece that I am holding in place for the photos, because it is unfortunately missing one little piece in the middle that held the little 'turret' protoconch, and I don't want to glue it fully back together in the off-chance that I might find that piece if I go back up there (a very off chance, but you never know. Probably it is disintegrated after the last couple weeks of rain).

Date of Discovery: September 1, 2019

Name: Heteromorph ammonite Glyptoxoceras subcompressum(?)

Age and Formation: Santonian, Haslam

Locality: Mt. Tzuhalem, Vancouver Island, Canada

Wow, that seems pretty large for the species!  I only found one with the helical part ("turret"), I think they often broke off, maybe even when the animal was still alive.  BTW the protoconch was the first chamber; the helical whorls include quite a bit beyond the protoconch stage.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks for clearing that up.

I've got the sense that there are at least 2 species - someone pointed out that there seem to be 2 varieties of what we call G. subcompressum, and they might be separate species (if someone ever gets around to doing the work). One is 6-shaped, like the one above, and the other has overlapping circular whorls like this one:

[Note to Ken: this is not another entry, I found this one a long time ago!]

Glyptox(circular)-3views.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

[Note to Ken: this is not another entry, I found this one a long time ago!]

Got it. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Date of Discovery: 09/22/2019

Name: Rudist Hippurites colliciatus Woodward, 1855

Age and Formation: Campanian; St. Bartholomä-formation

Locality: St. Bartholomä, Styria, Austria

This is the best naturally weathered transverse section of a pseudocolony of H. colliciatus I have found so far. It was just lying at the surface near the western end of the stone heaps west of Kalchberg: Point 32 - 09/15/2019. I am wondering, why I have not found this specimen the week before :headscratch:.

It consists of 6 "complete" individuals, 5 of them are exposed in the natural transverse section. One of them is very small, can you spot it?

In side view, a partial H. c. is exposed in vertical section, showing nicely the P2-pillar. This individual is visible at the lower left of the transverse section. At the lower left, the very crude 6th "complete" individual can bee seen.

Attached to the rudist pseudocolony are many small clasts of fossiliferous limestone and possibly a fragment of a Hippurites nabresinensis (right edge of transverse section).

Franz Bernhard

HippuritesColliciatus_32_4320_kompr.thumb.jpg.64801e8a856a7cebecc46ed63d8af7ae.jpg

I'm throwing my hat into the ring this month with this nice double fish from the Green River Formation. Here's the details.

Date of collection: 5 June 2019

Preparation began: 16 Auguast 2019

Preparation completed: 14 September 2019

Name: Diplomystus dentatus and Knightia eocaena

Geological data: Eocene, Green River Formation, 18" Layer

Locality: Lincoln County, Wyoming, USA

Before Preparation:

IMG_7534.thumb.jpg.b1db5758d5c2e5bba9efdb5533c78977.jpg

After preparation:

IMG_7621.thumb.jpg.7c857c2a194143afbd0738e2933db9bd.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

My entry for this month is this cluster of trilos I found during my recent trip to Sweden :)

Date of Discovery: 13.09.2019

Scientific and/or Common Name: Hadromeros clasoni and Agnostida trilobites

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Ordovician

State, Province, or Region Found: Brantevik, Sweden

image.png.175b0c602e681c4f67845af22bfc3598.png

image.png.6b8eb72f16898d2b707b68009d15fdbe.png

image.png.446d8cb97cad133dd4cb479f3c552cc3.png

• I found this Informative 5

3 hours ago, Kasia said:

My entry for this month is this cluster of trilos I found during my recent trip to Sweden :)

Date of Discovery: 13.09.2019

Scientific and/or Common Name: Cheirurus clasoni and Agnostida trilobites

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Ordovician

State, Province, or Region Found: Brantevik, Sweden

image.png.175b0c602e681c4f67845af22bfc3598.png image.png.6b8eb72f16898d2b707b68009d15fdbe.png image.png.446d8cb97cad133dd4cb479f3c552cc3.png

:trilosurprise: Updated taxonomy: Lane 1971 reclassified Cheirurus clasoni as: Hadromeros clasoni

image.thumb.png.e94319b92c6d721c5a020c24253f8239.png

Lane, P.D. 1971. British Cheiruridae (Trilobita). Palaeontographical Society, London, 125(530):1-95

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

On 9/25/2019 at 7:16 PM, piranha said:

:trilosurprise: Updated taxonomy: Lane 1971 reclassified Cheirurus clasoni as: Hadromeros clasoni

image.thumb.png.e94319b92c6d721c5a020c24253f8239.png

Lane, P.D. 1971. British Cheiruridae (Trilobita). Palaeontographical Society, London, 125(530):1-95