New York, Nassau County, 11520 Fossil

Grod31

Looks very much like a fenestrate bryozoan.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  I believe you have a bryozoan, a very nice start to an exciting hobby.  I hope you enjoy it, it can be life-enriching, as can TFF.

Hello and welcome! Nice little bryozoan there! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

That's quite a nice find for Long Island. Fossils are rather rare in all the glacial sediment that created the island. Welcome to the fossil forum. I grew up not far from Freeport LI, and remember fishing for snappers (little bluefish) quite often from the Freeport (11520) shoreline.  Congratulations on your fossil find!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I agree. Fenestrate Bryozoan. Finding a glacial fossil on Long Island is likely a once in a lifetime occurrence. Congratulations.

Wow thank you all for the responses I am glad I was inspired to find this community. I have kept my eyes open for them for 15 years knowing how rare they are. I found something a few years ago but i did not think it was significant. It was found on the same island so now i think maybe its good. I remeberd that texture rock and it is why i picked up the stone in the original post.

freport fossil og.jpg