Is this fossil coral or modern coral?

Creek - Don

I found this marine rock next to railroad tracks with other marine rocks for railroad erosion control.   It looks like coral, but not sure modern or cretaceous?  I looked around, but can't seems to match up with any of the existing corals in the ocean. 

coral.JPG

coral2.JPG

coral3.JPG

It looks like non-fossil, layered prismatic calcitic cave/ spring deposits. Are there sinkholes and caves near where you found it? Where did you find it? Railroad ballast can come from miles away. Note that the top of the top photo shows the tips of calcite crystals and not any organized coral patterns. 

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

No idea how this rock ended up next to the railroad tracks. Nearest caves are in Austin, Texas or West Texas, which are hundreds of miles away.    I looked around several rocks in the railroad track and some rocks have coral patterns,  and others are like this.   I should took more pictures,  but forgot my camera.    I just grabbed this rock instead. 

This was found in Garland, Texas, about 1/2 miile from my home.  

Just calcite.  It forms in more places than you can imagine...as long as the right ingredients are available.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

All rock broughr in to go around the tracks in these parts is basalt and/ or granite. Neither make for very good fossil searching. :angry:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

That's true.  Most of the rocks here are granite too.  This is the first time I've seen rocks like these around railroad tracks.   I had to stop and pick some of the rocks because of that.   I'm going to take more pictures of different rocks where I found these and post later. 

That's a very good specimen of that mineral. It's a keeper.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

All rock broughr in to go around the tracks in these parts is basalt and/ or granite. Neither make for very good fossil searching. :angry:

They prefer something that holds an angular shape without rounding of easily. Keeps the ties in alignment longer. 

6 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

That's a very good specimen of that mineral. It's a keeper.

I agree with Mark. It may not be a fossil, but it’s still a cool find. I’d keep it and display it on my geological/non fossil shelf. I like the stripes (layering?) it has, and the color is nice. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)