Darktooth's Kitchen Table finds.

Darktooth

2019 has been a rather slow year for me in terms of fossilhunts. I have not been on as many as previous years. This is due to family obligations and projects. So I have had to utilize other means to satisfy my urge of finding fossil treasure. Fortunately I had a wonderful time hunting with @digit and his wife Tammy back in March. We hunted in Cookie Cutter Creek and I was sent home with a few gallons of Micromatrix. Also I won an Auction put up by @Adam86cucv. His offering included matrix from 4 different sites. While this has not been my first foray dealing with micros, I had more fun and success, due in part, to having more experience and fine tuning the searching process. I named this topic 'Kitchen Table Finds", because this is where I do my searching. Actually I do alot of fossil related activities there.  It has a big surface, decent lighting, and the family can sit around to watch and participate if they choose. My wife used to get mad that I was bringing dirty rocks where we eat, but I make sure to lay a barrier down of some sort and clean up after myself so she has since, gotten used to it.  I have rather enjoyed the micro hunts that I have had. My only complaint is that after a while my eyes start to hurt! But I have had the opportunity to add some new sharkteeth to my collection that I would not have otherwise. I used to think that micros were a waste of time as they are so small they are hardly impressive. I now realize that considering sharkteeth are my main interest, I should be trying to collect as many species as possible, regardless of size. I will start off pics of my finds from Cookie Cutter Creek. Adding pics will take awhile so please bear with me.

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Picking micro-matrix gets addictive (I won't mentioned what I've been doing for the last 2 hours). ;)

Magnification (either a large lighted magnifier or a digital camera microscope) is essential for any extended picking. I've been searching through the finest material (caught by my 1/20" sieve) from Cookiecutter Creek looking for the really uncommon micro-chondrichthyan teeth. These teeth are needle-in-the-haystack rare and make the Isistius triangulus (Cookiecutter Shark) teeth look common by comparison. This little Mustelus (Smooth-hound Shark) tooth, which I spotted just a few minutes ago, looks like a ray tooth but the striations give it away. It is just a bit over 1 mm in size. :blink:

2019-09-02 12-07-14.jpg

Looking forward to more of your kitchen table finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

Baby gator mixed with some fish teeth?

20190902_121927.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

There were other things found in this matrix that I will post later. These were, atleast for me the most interesting. Next up will be Sharktooth Hill micros.

While I was very happy to add a few Cookie Cutter teeth to the collection, I was also glad to find a couple Tope shark teeth from STH. The second one was much smaller then this one so is not included in the pic. I have searched STH matrix a few times in the past and had not found any of these teeth till now.

20190828_163415.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

Pinfish 

Thank-you Doren!

Here is the biggest and best preserved basking shark tooth that I have found.

20190828_164758.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

14 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Need ID with these.

20190902_121834.jpg

Here's your answer from back in 2013. ;)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/34330-lee-creek-tooth-id-help-part-2/&do=findComment&comment=380375

You'll find a good number of porgy teeth as well as the tiny bifurcated pinfish (Lagodon) teeth hiding in the material from Cookiecutter Creek along with the nice diversity of other fish teeth as you have shown above. I know there is a PhD student up in Gainesville who specializes in fishes and I'd really love to meet up with her sometime to sort through the diversity of little fish chompers that I come across. I do know that some of the long conical teeth are from garfish.

15 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Fish scales.

20190902_121945.jpg

Speaking of garfish, these are the ganoid scales of garfish. Different shapes for different areas on the body. Possibly more than one species as well.

15 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Ray teeth, unsure of species.

20190902_122303.jpg

The roots are mostly pointing up in that photograph and the diagnostic feature is hidden in the image above but I've seen enough of these to say they are likely Wedgefish (Rhynchobatus). Dasyatis stingray teeth can look similar but don't have the uvula on the enameled crown (shaped like the little dangly part in the back of your throat). @old bones has some excellent galleries of micros from the Gainesville area and there is a lot of cross-over for material in CC Creek. Her excellent photography in these posts will make identification quite easy.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/45532-shark-ray-and-fish-micro-fossils-from-gainesville-fl/

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

While I was very happy to add a few Cookie Cutter teeth to the collection, I was also glad to find a couple Tope shark teeth from STH. The second one was much smaller then this one so is not included in the pic. I have searched STH matrix a few times in the past and had not found any of these teeth till now.

20190828_163415.jpg

Thats why it is highly recommended to search the STH stuff a couple of times.

I can always get about a dozen of these Tope shark teeth from a quarts worth of matrix.

When I first started searching the STH matrix I had never found any. I think they were so small, I just didn't notice them and they were pushed off with the rest of the sand and other bits.

Now that I know what to look for, I can find them with regularity.

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

8 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

20190828_163415.jpg

When I first saw this image I hadn't read the text above (eyes go to the photos immediately). For a second my heart skipped a beat as I thought you had found a Tope Shark tooth in CC Creek but it all made sense when I see you were adding Sharktooth Hill micros as well. A number of species of sharks that are not currently found in Florida or the tropical western Atlantic area are turning up in CC Creek but a Triakid shark tooth would have been very unusual for CC Creek. ;) Reasonably common and fun to find in the STH micro-matrix.

Cheers.

-Ken

Squalus teeth, These are fairly common as well as Angel shark.

20190902_125857.jpg

Here is a pic of how I am housing the micros. Gemjar tray with 1 inch containers. 

20190902_131037.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

There were also alot more finds with the STH batch but I simply cant post pics of everything. Next up will be the Eagle Ford Micros.