Trout River NWT find - fossil or not?

urban fossil

IMG_4325.thumb.jpg.2202a2d1eb6f1a830cc5db7d8e505b71.jpg

Found this at Trout River, NWT amongst other fossils in an area that is supposedly Silurian period.  Rock is only porous on one side.  I have no idea if it is a fossil or if the rock has been through some sort of physical change.  Let me know if higher res pictures are needed.  All responses are appreciated.

IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

Those are molds/casts of bivalves/brachiopods. The holes occur when an unknown mineral (a carbonate such as calcite?) dissolved away.

Please send higher res photos.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Ok DPS Ammonite. An attempt at a closer look of the porous surface. Thanks for the help. I originally thought that there had been some other (abiotic) reason for the porous surface. 

porous1.thumb.jpg.cd28878ad9ef1e0fbdd376df133946ba.jpg 

37 minutes ago, urban fossil said:

Ok DPS Ammonite. An attempt at a closer look of the porous surface. Thanks for the help. I originally thought that there had been some other (abiotic) reason for the porous surface. 

porous1.thumb.jpg.cd28878ad9ef1e0fbdd376df133946ba.jpg 

I still cannot see the details of the holes so I will ask you what they look like. It looks like the holes are on the matrix and the fossil shells. Are the holes angular with some planar interior surfaces? If planar and angular then molds of crystals are likely. Are the spherical? If spherical they might be trace fossils from an encrusting epizoon. 

What is is the whole thing made of, carbonate, quartz, etc?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

4 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I still cannot see the details of the holes so I will ask you what they look like. It looks like the holes are on the matrix and the fossil shells. Are the holes angular with some planar interior surfaces? If planar and angular then molds of crystals are likely. Are the spherical? If spherical they might be trace fossils from an encrusting epizoon. 

What is is the whole thing made of, carbonate, quartz, etc?

I'd say they are spherical and the rock is carbonate.

The close-up does show something that looks suspiciously like the cell structure of a coral, but the 'cell' size isn't uniform and that's leaving me scratching my head. :headscratch: