Please be nice I have a Dino embryo

cool things

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Unfortunately, ... I can assure you that you do not have a dinosaur embryo.

Your item looks like a chert nodule. 

Sometimes, nodules can form around fossils. There is something in your nodule, but I am positive it isn't a dinosaur embryo.

Where in Missouri was this found? 

There is only a very small area of exposure of Cretaceous aged bedrock in South East Missouri, according to this Geological Map.

geomap.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We always try to be nice! :) 

I have to agree with Tim on this one. There is a very high probability that this is not a fossilized dinosaur embryo. It does look very geological to me.

As mentioned, most of the rock in Missouri is not the correct age for dinosaur fossils. In fact, most of the rock is many millions of years older that the dinosaurs! If you find a fossil from the Ordovician period shown in the provided geological map you are looking at 200-ish million years (give or take a few million) older than the very first dinosaur!

You would be a lot more likely to find fossils of ancient sea life in Missouri. Corals, brachiopods/bivalves (seashells), bryozoans, etc. Think coral reef!

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

First, welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  You've come to exactly the right place to present such finds and have experts - and amateurs such as me - look at them and give you an honest opinion.  Please continue to bring us your interesting finds and share the joy of finding them with us.

Second, while I agree with the above opinions regarding dino embryo, I also think that you have found a very unique, interesting, attractive piece that makes a great conversation piece.  I'd sure hang on to it.

Again, welcome to the site.

Grandpa

Like everyone else has stated, not dino in any way.  Actually looks to have fish bits in it?   Turn your imagination button off and get a loup and take a really close look.  Good luck

RB

I agree with the others, it is a rock though that does not make it any less interesting and it is certainly worth keeping.

1 hour ago, Plax said:

do I see fish scales in this concretion?

I'm not seeing any here. :unsure: 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

• 9 months later...

Hi. I would like to say I do believe that what you have is a fossilized embryo, and as I continue to prep mine I will post updates on the pictures. I'm canning will not say for sure yet but I do believe that's what it is nice find

IMG_20200621_152205978.jpg

Like others said before this is not a dinosaur embryo. Such fossils are incredibly rare, in fact almost never heard of. The odds of you actually finding a dinosaur embryo are much lower than you winning the lottery. The members of this forum are very knowledgeable, you can trust their advice.

• I found this Informative 2

Belief is no substitute for scientific evidence. That evidence has been supplied above. Your piece is also not an embryo.

• I found this Informative 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Huntonia said:

Like others said before this is not a dinosaur embryo. Such fossils are incredibly rare, in fact almost never heard of. The odds of you actually finding a dinosaur embryo are much lower than you winning the lottery. The members of this forum are very knowledgeable, you can trust their advice.

I do appreciate the knowledge of the folks here. I believe they could be wrong, I will do my best to prove it, but the original picture is almost exactly identical do the one I possess for us both to see the embryo I don't think it's coincidence, but it could be, so I am going to try and prove it is.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Are soft tissue preservation known in your collecting area? Why are there no morphological features in your piece to suggest a fossil?

• I found this Informative 3

2 minutes ago, Rodmoody79 said:

I do appreciate the knowledge of the folks here. I believe they could be wrong, I will do my best to prove it, but the original picture is almost exactly identical do the one I possess for us both to see the embryo I don't think it's coincidence, but it could be, so I am going to try and prove it is.

This is a phenomenon known as pareidolia, we tend to see organic shapes in abstract. This is why a number of people may see a face or an animal in a cloud. It is not uncommon for a large number of people to see the same thing where it is not, if that makes sense.

• I found this Informative 4

As science proceeds by falsification, and not proof (as that pertains to rationalist models like math or philosophy, not empiricism), attempt to falsify the claim using rigorous testing. What is the basis of your claim? Belief and science do not mix.

• I found this Informative 2

Unfortunately most of the testing involved to validate the claim comes a very steep price, therefore I'm relying on educating myself, but the most convincing for me is the amount of fossils I have found in my area that resemble animals to a point I can't trust that it's just coincidence, or some burnt piece of toast that looks like Jesus.Unfortunately the way in which these fossils are preserved does not lend itself well to acceptance from be more educated.

@Rodmoody79 I see you are a new member of TFF.  Let me offer my Welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  As I mentioned to @cool things at the beginning of this thread:

On 9/2/2019 at 8:30 PM, grandpa said:

You've come to exactly the right place to present such finds and have experts - and amateurs such as me - look at them and give you an honest opinion.  Please continue to bring us your interesting finds and share the joy of finding them with us.

I would like to emphasize that we indeed do have some true experts on this site.  When they give you their advise/opinion, you are wise to listen to it.  Disagree when you find them incorrect, but it works out best for all that you do so with data/facts/evidence and not supposition, especially if you are speaking from a position of being new to the subject.  I'm sure you can see where this makes good practical sense. 

Again I offer a warm welcome to TFF.

Apologies go to @cool things for having hijacked her very first post to TFF.

Self-education is a noble pursuit. As you become more familiar with paleontology and some geology, your hypotheses will improve, as well as your ability to discern what is a fossil as opposed to a non-organic geologic origin. It is a worthwhile journey that allows us to question previous assumptions. All the power to those who choose that path!

You can, of course, bring your specimen to a local museum or earth sciences department to obtain their opinion as it can prove a challenge to determine what something is by photos alone. 

I totally agree but for the past 5 years I have educated myself  I have immersed myself more so than I'd like to admit sometimes.lol in the studies of paleontology anthropology geology I have done my due diligence but apparently not enough because what I see other folks have yet to see all I can do is keep moving forward and try to find the right fossil or prep the ones that I have well enough where people can see

15927773576053437018334414122701.jpg

Where did you find it in Missouri? Knowing that, we then might be able to rule in or out what it might be. Provenance of a fossil is important.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

12 minutes ago, Rodmoody79 said:

I totally agree but for the past 5 years I have educated myself  I have immersed myself more so than I'd like to admit sometimes.lol in the studies of paleontology anthropology geology I have done my due diligence but apparently not enough because what I see other folks have yet to see all I can do is keep moving forward and try to find the right fossil or prep the ones that I have well enough where people can see

15927773576053437018334414122701.jpg

Well, I'm afraid that the many years of experience here are against you.  :( 

I see nothing resembling a mosasaur egg or embryo in your item.  :unsure: 

I don't think your imaginative interpretation is going to gain any traction here. 

I see no diagrams pointing out any features that could possibly be mistaken for bone or bilateral symmetry. 
I see no supporting evidence of what you are claiming.  

I really cannot see anything fossil related in your pictures. 

I honestly can't imagine what  in these photos,  you could be seeing as a mosasaur fetus.  :headscratch:

Brightened and enlarged: 

IMG_20200621_152205978.thumb.jpg.212843f63d45c75254aa5d2d5f888e1d (2).jpg   IMG_20200621_152205978.thumb.jpg.212843f63d45c75254aa5d2d5f888e1d.jpg

I think we will have to agree to disagree at this point.  

Please take your item to the nearest museum or university paleontologist, for an in hand examination. 

Just because something looks too much like an animal to you, doesn't mean it actually is a fossil, at all.  

Please refer to this topic

We wish you the best of luck with figuring out what this is. 

Topic is now locked. 

• I found this Informative 1

• Fossildude19 locked this topic