Why does this C.carcharius appear to have cusplets?

DevilDog

C.carcharius lower found on Topsail Island, NC.

Approximately 2.5 cm slant height (juvenile?)

Appears to have cusplets. Why? 

0902191745a~2_resized.jpg

0902191746~2_resized.jpg

0902191746b~2_resized.jpg

I agree it is a C. carcharias. Many juvenile sharks have features that differ from there adult forms. GW juveniles may have cusplets and ragged, irregular serrations.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

1 hour ago, Plax said:

root looks too thick for C. carcharius. More likely a juvie angustidens or auriculatis .

Lower anterior GWs can have some very thick roots.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I am confident in my ID of this tooth as C.carcharius and not one of the megatooth species based on the lack of a bourrelet and comparison with other C.carcharius lowers.

• 3 weeks later...

I second DevilDog here,  that is a lower C. carcharias, the cusps are common in juveniles and can persist even in larger teeth. Here's a chilean white shark that is ~2" - 5+cm. White shark teeth that are from smaller individuals have lowers that have very pronounced D-shaped X-sections, but they gain in width and flatten out a little relative to the size as they get older.

post-92-12634343908809.jpg.4bcd2334a8f3b37f774aa0c581374db8.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Those teeth come from a gravel quarry that was very active in the 70's. The quarry is located just south of the San Luis Rey river and east of the 5 freeway. The last time I drove by there it seemed like it was pretty built up with new homes (the east rim that is; Harbor Cliff Way), although it also looked like the quarry itself was still untouched by development.

• I found this Informative 2