Fossil sort of art project

Raistlin

Hello all

I have sort of a side project I am wanting to do. I have a small thin wood panel box that while interesting I want it to look cool as well as having use of storage. I have several small give away fossils that I want to put to use with it by putting them on the box to look like it's made of matrix with fossil inclusions.

My first thought was to just use grout but having ever done tile/grout work I was unsure how well that might adhere to wood. So my next thought was gluing the fossils to the box and adding in a glue and sand/crumbled matrix to it to make it look sort of like matrix and cover the gaps between the fossils. I was thinking super glue for the fossils them selves and white Elmers glue for the matrix. In my head I sort of see it looking like the matrix you see in the Morocco fossils (the crumbled sandy look). 

The problem I see is that the Elmers glue seems like it might be too thick to just use straight out. Has anyone done anything like this and thinned down the Elmers glue and if so to what mix? I was thinking using water to thin it down and doing a 1/3 ratio.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts. When I get it done I'll be sure to post it up.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I have successfully used Elmers and sand to recreate a beach for a "beach find" diorama, but it was a thin layer. Elmers, if too thick may not dry very well or support the weight of the matrix while drying. I would try it at normal thickness, and experiment on something disposable first. You can apply a thin "wash" of glue afterwards to help hold the matrix together. I've seen Elmers mold where the moisture was constantly trying to get out from being applied too thick. 

You may want to try the "clear" variety as it does not dry "milky" like the white glue.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the clear stuff and try a bit on an index card first. 

I think you have a better path laid out. I will just use a small brush and coat the exposed wood then sprinkle the "matrix" over that then maybe a thinned layer over to complete it. 

All of my matrix will come from a jar holding matrix crumbles and leftovers form preps.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I recommend SimpleGrout pre-mixed grout which comes in many colors.  This should work for your projec (assuming the fossils aren't really large and heavy), but if you are concerned about adhesion, you can add and mix-in Liquid Nails.

Here's a ~4ft-long composite skeleton of an oreodont that I placed in the aforementioned grout to appear as matrix. The backing is plywood.  I did not add Liquid Nails, and it adheres and holds the bones fine (the skull is intentionally removable / not adhered).  If you don't add Liquid Nails, the grout can be reversed / removed with acetone (not sure if that works if Liquid Nails has been added).

20180309_231703.thumb.jpg.b7be6f2e2598b32b04b7597f424af79f.jpg

Here is an educational project I put together 6 years ago showing fossils found within the city limits of Rochester, Mn showing children what is just outside their doors! I made "blobs of expanding foam from the hardware shop. Then sliced and reglued the pieces roughly together to look more like layered rock . Then a 50;50 mix of elmers glue and water was applied to the foam before sand was added. It took a few layers of glue and sand to cover the foam completely. If sand is used, make sure it is a coarse sand with impurities in it or add small pebbles or something to make it more natural. Show us your results!!! 

Mike

DSC_0148-001.thumb.JPG.3b5b42b35577720f87ae068dc1d536ba.JPGDSC_0105-003.thumb.JPG.870e4332cb791978f5a6782d006f299c.JPG

• I found this Informative 4