Trimming matrix with saws

Nanosaurus

Hi All. I am looking for suggestions on trimming matrix (hard shale, limestone) from specimens. I have used a tile saw in the past. I am wondering if small hand saws with diamond blades would also be effective. I appreciate the help.

Not on really hard material.  :shakehead:

I have a hacksaw with two diamond blades. It works well on shale, not so good on limestone.  :unsure:

You could pick up an inexpensive angle grinder, and get a diamond blade/masonry discs for that. 

It's best to have clamps available for that, however.  ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have rented paver/masonry wet saws before from my local rental shop. These saws usually come with diamond blades and can cut through some hard material well if not pushed too hard. I've trimmed highly silicified materials like agates and jaspers to smaller pieces to fit into my rock tumbler with one of these. Likely harder material that they are generally used to cut (pavers and bricks mostly) so I am usually very slow and gentle with my cutting so as not to trash an expensive saw blade. If you have a bunch of material to cut, pickup on a rental on Saturday morning as they usually are closed Sundays and so you can return Monday morning and get a 2-day rental for the price of 1. ;)

P3036562.jpg     P3036572.jpg

P3036585.jpg     P3036576.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

The angle griner with diamond saw works great but the tile/masonry is used with water and not only keeps the dust down but keeps you from breathing it.  Good luck.

RB

6 hours ago, RJB said:

The angle griner with diamond saw works great but the tile/masonry is used with water and not only keeps the dust down but keeps you from breathing it.  Good luck.

RB

Good points!

Just one heads up on this one. Make sure what you are cutting can stand getting wet and wont crumble apart like some matrix will when wetted.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 9/4/2019 at 9:35 AM, digit said:

If you have a bunch of material to cut, pickup on a rental on Saturday morning as they usually are closed Sundays and so you can return Monday morning and get a 2-day rental for the price of 1.

This is great advice, now the question is- Where can I rent a pick-up truck? LOL

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Where can I rent a pick-up truck?

Hah! I have a friend up in Jacksonville who had her clothes drier die on her this week. She bought a new one at a big box store but they couldn't deliver it because their delivery truck was dropping off portable generators ahead of hurricane Dorian. I told that if I lived closer it would be the one day a year when a pickup truck comes in handy. ;) Actually, I load it with 40 bags of mulch several times a year so that pickup bed does find a use a few times a year. As pictured above, it does make an excellent work space for messy rock cutting. :)

Cheers.

-Ken