Shark Teeth ID Mostly Bull Shark?

hokietech96

Hi.  First I would like to apologize in advance if I am stepping out of bounds with this ID request.  Feel free to tell me if this is not appropriate.  I am just really getting into this and trying to separate my collection of 800+ teeth by species.  I think I have handle on the different types of tiger shark teeth but now I need help with these so I can get pointed in the right direction.  Thank you so much in advance for any feedback and please tell me to go pound sand if this is a crazy pic. 

Mark

IMG_4270.thumb.JPG.36ee27f3e2eb236a96b3c5e09a4f4071.JPG

Not the best picture or way to ID but I think to see some Galeocerdo. 

Smaller groups of teeth and pictures with daylight can make a big difference 

25 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

please tell me to go pound sand if this is a crazy

Go find a sandbox. :P

Fossil teeth in the genus Carcharhinus can be really difficult to sort out to the species level. There is quite a bit of variety in shape within a species (even within an individual) and many of the ID guides can be very difficult to follow relying on subtle differences and terms that can be tricky to understand. IDs work the best on complete teeth that are not worn--generally less of a chance for any partial worn tooth.

Most Florida fossil hunters tend to refer to Carcharhinus sp. teeth as generically "Bull Shark" or "Dusky Shark" simply because they are common species but rarely with any confidence of an actual identification.

You might find this web page useful in trying to key out fossil shark teeth:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/sharks/fossil/shark-tooth-id-guide/

You may also find this printed paper a useful guide to learning to differentiate fossil shark teeth:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/70723-fossil-sharks-and-rays-of-gainesville-creeks-alachua-county-florida/&do=findComment&comment=1051645

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

36 minutes ago, digit said:

Most Florida fossil hunters tend to refer to Carcharhinus sp. teeth as generically "Bull Shark" or "Dusky Shark" simply because they are common species but rarely with any confidence of an actual identification.

Pretty much what Ken said ... on the nose.  Especially if the teeth are heavily worn or partial the diagnostic features to a species have probably been washed away as well. Carcharhinus sp.

There is a smattering of other sharks in there as has been suggested.  I circled some Hemipristis serra (Snaggletooth) shark teeth, well, just because they are cool and usually easy to identify.

IMG_4270.JPG.c579fb88aba0ba82a810cd9a92d5acd2.thumb.JPG.bf0ef84d29629c1a67f8f498257afa55.JPG

Image Credit: fossilguy.com

hemipristis_snaggletooth_shark_tooth.jpg.31fdad2240f06a9562ec783d41d7e7a2.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

17 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

Does number 43 look like anything.  It seems to be an odd shape?

Could be a tiger given the bent crown. A close-up of just that tooth would be helpful.

Cheers.

-Ken