What Species is this?

crob-fossil

Can you kindly give us some information on this?  Where was it found? In the strata or loose in a river?  Do you know the geologic age of the deposit?

We have nothing to go off of here. In fact we'll have to figure out what it even is before it can be broken down into taxonomic classification.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Can you kindly give us some information on this?  Where was it found? In the strata or loose in a river?  Do you know the geologic age of the deposit?

We have nothing to go off of here. In fact we'll have to figure out what it even is before it can be broken down into taxonomic classification.

My Grandfather would have found it, but unfortunately I can't say for sure where; it would most probably be related to the upside-down mountains and coal exploration.

If I where to guess it would have been found in the strata, but again I can't say for sure; I only remember it as I grew up, it was used for a door-stop.  

From the States, Europe, Antarctica?

For ID purposes we need as much info as possible.  I don't recognize it as anything that would come from coal exposures.

It almost looks like a large vertebra of sorts. Especially with that side shot.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 minutes ago, caldigger said:

From the States, Europe, Antarctica?

For ID purposes we need as much info as possible.  I don't recognize it as anything that would come from coal exposures.

It almost looks like a large vertebra of sorts. Especially with that side shot.

Hello,

North-America and yes it is a vertebrae, just don't know from what species.

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, crob-fossil said:

North-America

Can we get slightly more specific than this? A state or possibly something more precise would be useful in getting an idea of what geological formation it might have come from and thus what age it might be. Don't make this a guessing game--let us know as much as you know about this. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

53 minutes ago, digit said:

Can we get slightly more specific than this? A state or possibly something more precise would be useful in getting an idea of what geological formation it might have come from and thus what age it might be. Don't make this a guessing game--let us know as much as you know about this. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

If I had more information I'd provide it; sorry.

dinosaur vert is about as close as I can get from the pix.  Can we see a shot of the bottom side?  If there are chevron attachment points then it is a caudal (tail bone).  Bottom is the part you have the black part of your square against in the first and third shots.

Placing an identification without locality is going to be almost impossible. However I will echo troodons comment in that it in my mind it is defiantly a dorsal vertebrae I'm also leaning more towards ceratopsian rather than hadrosaur due to the fossil is question having longer neural procsess and a smaller neural canal. Again not gospel just my observations.