markjw

Bryozoan blobs

markjw

Lately I've encountered quite a few blobs, and I'm not sure what types I have, or if some of them may be just weathered rocks. I get the impression that twisted blobs with smooth surfaces are Stigmatella Vulgaris, pictured in lower right of a 1921 Dept of Mines publication. I'll soon gain a sense of how to tell one from the other.

1-aPetrifiedBryozoan-1.jpg

aFossilColony-1.jpg

aPetrifiedColony.jpg

aStigmatellaVulgarisPortion.jpg

aExtinctColonyCreatures.jpg

digit

I am not familiar with that locality or the bryozoans commonly found there but from my limited experience and the bryozoans that I've found (in different localities) I'm not seeing the characteristic surface patterning of the little zooid chambers that would indicate bryozoan. Possibly, these are more worn on specimens from where you collected these but in my (non-expert) opinion I'm only seeing geologic features and not biologic. Since you've tagged this with Toronto, possibly @Kane @Malcolmt or @Monica may have more to say about these.

Cheers.

-Ken

Kane

Not seeing any typical bryozoan material in these, but instead various possible seabed/sedimentation-deposition/bioturbation processes. Reading up on the taphonomy of the formation can say more about the processes that result in the bumps, bulges, and furrows. If there are endemic faunal assemblages immediately correlated with these, that can help pinpoint what kind of community you are dealing with. 

We also can’t rule out diagenetic processes either.

markjw

That is most interesting; thanks for insights Kane and digit.

I am getting a better sense of these things every time I go out.