What???.....fish? Coral? Minnows? Shrimp? Crabs?

Nirang

Please tell me those are fish!!! (One of my dream find fossils)Found this near downtown Lockhart believe it or not, I’m a little protective over the spot cuz I COULD get super specific on this one and it’s not very off the beaten path ...lol

877DCF88-3A14-4EF6-9FDA-09B399BE0A90.jpeg

I believe the disc-shaped feature is a fish vert, but I'm no expert so let's let a few others chime in.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

21 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Some kind of vert and some other bones too. Nice find!

Are you one of the “bone guys” I read about ?? : ) 

45 minutes ago, Nirang said:

Are you one of the “bone guys” I read about ?? : ) 

Not really, there will be others along shortly who will know your local geology

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

:wacko:

You're kidding ?

I don't see anything like bone here.

Ive had another look. It must have been a trick of the lighting I think. And posting before breakfast. Dont see bone now :(

12 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Ive had another look. It must have been a trick of the lighting I think. And posting before breakfast. Dont see bone now :(

I know the feeling. Sometimes ones mood can affect what the brain chooses to conclude from what the eye sees.

34 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I know the feeling. Sometimes ones mood can affect what the brain chooses to conclude from what the eye sees.

And what you want to see...

• I found this Informative 2

Probably rudists. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

LOL!!

My first thought was this:

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Probably rudists. 

But then I saw this:

12 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

fish vert

and this:

11 hours ago, westcoast said:

Some kind of vert and some other bones too.

And skipped my rudist-post.

However, I am uncertain, if these are rudists, I can not see very much detail. But we know the city the specimen comes from (Lockhart, Texas) and probably some members can tell us what formation crops out in this area and the fossils that occur within this formation: @erose, @grandpa, @Uncle Siphuncle

Franz Bernhard

That rock looks similar to rock I found few days ago nearby railroad track in Garland, Texas.    I guess they used as a ballast for erosion control.  I think DPS Ammonite suggested that it maybe a calcite.   Maybe they brought this rock from West Texas? 

rock.JPG

20 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

tell us what formation crops out in this area and the fossils that occur within this formation

Interesting question..  Lockhart itself sits on Pleistocene, Leona fm. deposits.  Running NE of the city is Plum Creek which has Quaternary, alluvial deposits.  Between the two lie Paleocene and Eocene deposits.  BUT, just outside of town, across the Interstate to the NE a couple of miles, there are a couple of outcrops of Upper Cretaceous, Navarro Group exposures.  Judging from Nirang's earlier posts of the bivalve Exogyra costata, I suspect she is going to that site for this material.

Now to the specimen in question.  Even given what I have just said, I am still not recognizing any definite identifiable fossil in the rock from the pictures. I would call this a coquina limestone with calcite crystallization.

31 minutes ago, Creek - Don said:

it maybe a calcite.

And, regarding the post by Creek-Don.  That is indeed limestone with calcite deposits.  This is quite prevalent in the karsty limestone of the Texas Hill Country.  Most of it fluoresces under both SW and LW UV, although most is a dull pale yellow in fluorescence and not all that attractive under UV, at least in this person's opinion.  Some does, however display phosphorescence.

The specimen under visible light, however, I do find attractive.  I have collected a number of unique pieces of the same type of material myself.  In fact, I have a piece of the material on my sink right now that I just washed off last night.

• I found this Informative 3

38 minutes ago, Creek - Don said:

That rock looks similar to rock I found few days ago nearby railroad track in Garland, Texas.    I guess they used as a ballast for erosion control.  I think DPS Ammonite suggested that it maybe a calcite.   Maybe they brought this rock from West Texas? 

rock.JPG

That looks like a bunch of weird quartz on limestone that I have, will try to remember where I put them and picture

4 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Interesting question..  Lockhart itself sits on Pleistocene, Leona fm. deposits.  Running NE of the city is Plum Creek which has Quaternary, alluvial deposits.  Between the two lie Paleocene and Eocene deposits.  BUT, just outside of town, across the Interstate to the NE a couple of miles, there are a couple of outcrops of Upper Cretaceous, Navarro Group exposures.  Judging from Nirang's earlier posts of the bivalve Exogyra costata, I suspect she is going to that site for this material.

Now to the specimen in question.  Even given what I have just said, I am still not recognizing any definite identifiable fossil in the rock from the pictures. I would call this a coquina limestone with calcite crystallization.

And, regarding the post by Creek-Don.  That is indeed limestone with calcite deposits.  This is quite prevalent in the karsty limestone of the Texas Hill Country.  Most of it fluoresces under both SW and LW UV, although most is a dull pale yellow in fluorescence and not all that attractive under UV, at least in this person's opinion.  Some does, however display phosphorescence.

The specimen under visible light, however, I do find attractive.  I have collected a number of unique pieces of the same type of material myself.  In fact, I have a piece of the material on my sink right now that I just washed off last night.

All the Exogera I have came from down the street from my last place in New Braunfels (Comal County) . I’ll tell....lol cuz it’s really not very exciting....found this specimen along a sidewalk burm type landscaping deal that the city made as part of a “greenbelt” park thing so the railroad/shipping in from somewhere idea is choice. I haven’t gone back to get more but I really dig it. (I still think there’s fish in there : ) )

40 minutes ago, Nirang said:

All the Exogera I have came from down the street from my last place in New Braunfels (Comal County)

So then you must have been south of I35 in the Pecan Gap or Navarro formations, also UKT Taylor series fms.

Based on this being brought in by the city as landscaping/fill rock, it is likely a chunk of "cheap" Edwards limestone...filled with rudists.  An individual photo of any detailed features would help.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Based on this being brought in by the city as landscaping/fill rock, it is likely a chunk of "cheap" Edwards limestone...filled with rudists.  An individual photo of any detailed features would help.

If it is fact landscaping material from another location I am also in the rudist camp.

You could also bring it to the next meeting of the Paleontological Society of Austin. Tuesday the 17th at 7pm. Visit our web page for details: https://austinpaleo.org/meeting.html

Or, come see us the following Sunday the 22nd at Texas Memorial Museum for ID day: https://tmm.utexas.edu/events/3