LordTrilobite

Dirk the Triceratops in Leiden

digit

Very nice display! It is possible (allowed) to take photos in the prep lab? It would be interesting to see some of the work behind the scenes of a specimen like this.

Cheers.

-Ken

LordTrilobite

I have loads of photos from the prep lab. While the museum was closed during the creation of the new building we worked behind the scenes but before that and now that the new museum is open the prep lab is open to the public. The prep lab is just a cordoned off area with a set of work stations all around where the public can walk up to a preparator and talk to them. And taking photos is also possible. I'll see if I can dig up some photos from before.

digit

That would be great. For those of us who would need a passport and a long flight to see the new museum, some photos of the public prep lab work stations would be nice to see as well.

I do ask for so much. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Bobby Rico

Looks beautiful specimen and mount . How does the rest of the rebuilding? We was really hoping the last time was in Amsterdam that the museum would be open but it sadly it was not, next time. :(

cheers Bobby

doushantuo

Gaaf,bedankt!

Pemphix

Just for my understanding: the mounted bones are not from one individual but are a collection of bones found together, which were completed by 3D-scanned bones from another individual, right ? 

LordTrilobite
On 9/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, Pemphix said:

Just for my understanding: the mounted bones are not from one individual but are a collection of bones found together, which were completed by 3D-scanned bones from another individual, right ? 

No, the bones are all most likely of one single individual. Besides the 3D printed bones for the stuff we were missing, this is not a composite.

Where it was found we had 2 Triceratops bone beds a few meters apart at different levels. The lower has at least 4 or 5 individuals, but probably more. Some smaller and some quite big.

At the upper site, there were two individuals. There were a few bones of a smaller younger trike, and there was this skeleton, Dirk. At over 7 meters long he's a big boi but still very much growing.

Though the bones were all mostly disarticulated, there was no indication of a third individual. And luckily the other trike was considerably smaller so we were able to match which bones belonged to which animal.

Almost all of the bones we found were of Triceratops with only a few scattered remains of other animals. Some croc, some theropod scraps. But no hadrosaurs at all.

Pemphix
On ‎14‎.‎09‎.‎2019 at 12:39 PM, LordTrilobite said:

No, the bones are all most likely of one single individual. Besides the 3D printed bones for the stuff we were missing, this is not a composite.

Where it was found we had 2 Triceratops bone beds a few meters apart at different levels. The lower has at least 4 or 5 individuals, but probably more. Some smaller and some quite big.

At the upper site, there were two individuals. There were a few bones of a smaller younger trike, and there was this skeleton, Dirk. At over 7 meters long he's a big boi but still very much growing.

Though the bones were all mostly disarticulated, there was no indication of a third individual. And luckily the other trike was considerably smaller so we were able to match which bones belonged to which animal.

Almost all of the bones we found were of Triceratops with only a few scattered remains of other animals. Some croc, some theropod scraps. But no hadrosaurs at all.

Thank you for clarification ! :thumbsu: