e911chick

I wish I could follow the rules and give you a picture on a plain background, but we had to leave it where we found it as it was on federal land, so this is all I have. 

We went camping as a family to The Pines Recreation area near Glasgow Montana on Fort Peck Reservoir.   My 8 year old son, who wishes to be a paleontologist, and collects every rock he sees, found this in the reservoir.  I told him we would take a picture and see if any of our friends knew what it was, but since it was found on the Charles M Russell Wildlife refuge, we couldn't take it with us.  One of our friends on facebook told us to check out baculites, and I think that MAY be what it is, but just wasn't sure.  I would like to be able to tell him it "probably" is this, so I thought I would see what y'all think?

Thanks!

A Pastor's wife with no idea at all about fossils

IMG_5388.HEIC

IMG_3394.HEIC

IMG_3394.jpgIMG_5388.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Please post pictures directly to the post. They are not visible to many of us in your photo hosting site. :mellow:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, e911chick said:

I wish I could follow the rules and give you a picture on a plain background, but we had to leave it where we found it as it was on federal land, so this is all I have. 

We went camping as a family to The Pines Recreation area near Glasgow Montana on Fort Peck Reservoir.   My 8 year old son, who wishes to be a paleontologist, and collects every rock he sees, found this in the reservoir.  I told him we would take a picture and see if any of our friends knew what it was, but since it was found on the Charles M Russell Wildlife refuge, we couldn't take it with us.  One of our friends on facebook told us to check out baculites, and I think that MAY be what it is, but just wasn't sure.  I would like to be able to tell him it "probably" is this, so I thought I would see what y'all think?

Thanks!

A Pastor's wife with no idea at all about fossils

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I converted your photos from HEIC files to JPG files. 

The Forum's software doesn't play nice with HEIC files.

Best to save your photos as JPG, BMP, or PNG type files. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@e911chick, Kudos for not succumbing to the temptation to pocket that cool looking little piece! :thumbsu:
There are a few 'bad apples' out there that give fossil collectors a bad name :angry:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you Johannes! and also thanks to Fossildude19 for converting.  I will try to remember that in the future!  My son is so super excited!  :-)

Cameras are so much better and easier to use these days. Even smart phones can take really sharp HD images.  Thanks for sharing.

@erose, thanks!  I did just use the ole iphone for that picture.  To be honest, I didn't think it was anything special until a science teacher friend spoke up.

Too bad this was found in an area where you are not allowed to collect. It’s a neat find. Especially to an 8 year old! Good job on putting it back when you could have easily walked away with it. I’m sure your son was more than a little disappointed. :( 

My 4 year old son is also getting interested in fossils. It brings a smile to my face when he walks up with the random rock and asks “Is this a fossil?” Sometimes he gets lucky and it makes his day (as well as mine).:wub:

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)