Cretaceous Cretalamna Tooth Maximum Size?

Untitled

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what the Maximum size for a late Cretaceous Cretalamna was?  I have this tooth from Mississippi which clocks in at 1 29/32” (with root chipping), and can’t find much information as to the largest size that the genus reached in the Cretaceous.

83B93C53-49F0-4FA0-AB74-EAEA2BF22E32.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Are you absolutely sure it is Cretaceous? It's much bigger than any Cretalamna I have ever seen from the Cretaceous and I have seen many.

The width of the neck is more in line with that of Paleocene Otodus. It does however overlap in neck width with Cretalamna but not by much.

• 5 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 9:35 PM, MikaelS said:

Are you absolutely sure it is Cretaceous? It's much bigger than any Cretalamna I have ever seen from the Cretaceous and I have seen many.

The width of the neck is more in line with that of Paleocene Otodus. It does however overlap in neck width with Cretalamna but not by much.

I contacted the person I acquired it from, and this tooth is from Pontotoc County, so it could be late Cretaceous or Paleocene.  Everything else I acquired from him is from Monroe County, which I thought this tooth was too.

Edited by Untitled

2 hours ago, Untitled said:

This tooth is from Monroe County, Mississippi, found alongside Cretoxyrhina mantelli; Eutaw Formation.

I believe your tooth is a Cretodus crassidens.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

I believe your tooth is a Cretodus crassidens.

I contacted the person who found the tooth, he told me it’s Pontotoc county, which is Late Cretaceous to Paleocene; too recent for Cretodus crassidens.

20 hours ago, Untitled said:

I contacted the person who found the tooth, he told me it’s Pontotoc county, which is Late Cretaceous to Paleocene; too recent for Cretodus crassidens.

Hi Untitled,

That tooth is an Otodus lower.  It's a little weathered but that helps because it exposes those larger foramina which is a character of Otodus.  It may have washed out of the Midway Formation.

Jess

6 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Untitled,

That tooth is an Otodus lower.  It's a little weathered but that helps because it exposes those larger foramina which is a character of Otodus.  It may have washed out of the Midway Formation.

Jess

Hello Jess,

Thank you very much!  I was unaware of Otodus in Mississippi, but makes sense now that I think about it more.

Ben