Resin transfer method Keichousaurus

bcfossilcollector

Just a question regarding the resin transfer method. I’m looking at a Keichousaurus fossil that I am considering purchasing. While the fossil looks good the seller has stated that the matrix was very unstable and he utilized the resin transfer method to stabilize the matrix. How effective is this method?  The matrix looks very thin to me and any inquiries have gone unanswered. I do not have any photos of this specimen but I can direct anyone interested  via pm  to the very popular site the specimen is selling on. If that’s not a violation of forum rules. Thanks. 

I could easily be wrong but the only resin transfer method that I know of is when you are making a copy of something...the one o know is the RTM also known as the resin transfer molding method....but I’m sure the experts know things I don’t. Although the lack of response would make me concerned

• I found this Informative 1

51 minutes ago, Randyw said:

This is my RTM one. It’s a fake of course. I knew that getting it but for $20 I wasn’t concerned LOL!

44241556-0876-416D-A474-3EE7325066A8.jpeg

Very interesting. I know that some of the Messel Pit fossils have been preserved? using this method but I know nothing of it. Hey it’s a great replica!

46 minutes ago, Randyw said:

I could easily be wrong but the only resin transfer method that I know of is when you are making a copy of something...the one o know is the RTM also known as the resin transfer molding method....but I’m sure the experts know things I don’t. Although the lack of response would make me concerned

Resin Transfer Technique.

Capture.JPG

It is a legitimate technique, but I haven't ever seen it used on Keichousaurs.  :unsure:

Any pictures available? 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think the method has also been used to prepare Cretaceous fish from Lebanon.  In that case, the exposed side of the fossil is embedded in resin, and then the opposite side is acid prepped.  The result is an almost matrix-free skeleton on the surface of the resin, with exquisite presentation of the bones for research.  Like Tim I have not heard of this method being used for Keichousaurus but I see no reason why it couldn't be used.  The result is a cleaned fossil in acrylic, not just a copy.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

The Messel Transfer technique is a widely used preparation method and can be used with many substrates - partly in combination with chemical preparation.  Examples are finds from Messel, Solnhofen and Frauenweiler in Germany, Lebanon, the Crato Formation in Brazil, Green River Formation, Monte Bolca in Italy, Gracanica in Bosnia and Herzegovina and many more.

Examples:

Challenges encountered during acid resin transfer preparation of fossil fish from Monte Bolca.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331084284_The_resin_transfer_technique_An_application_to_insect_fossils_in_laminated_limestones_of_the_Crato_Formation_Lower_Cretaceous_of_north-east_Brazil

• I found this Informative 5

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think the method has also been used to prepare Cretaceous fish from Lebanon.  In that case, the exposed side of the fossil is embedded in resin, and then the opposite side is acid prepped.  The result is an almost matrix-free skeleton on the surface of the resin, with exquisite presentation of the bones for research.  Like Tim I have not heard of this method being used for Keichousaurus but I see no reason why it couldn't be used.  The result is a cleaned fossil in acrylic, not just a copy.

Don

It is possible. With this method, I saved one or the other Keichousaurus, which was "prepped" with a rotating grinder (and completely ruined). For this purpose, the front side is cast in polyester or epoxy resin. After hardening, the fossil is chemically prepped from the back (with acid).  Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the result at the moment.

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

My Keichousaurus was acid  prepped in the U.K. . The matrix is about a 1cm thick it has also a stop out varnish made of resin on the back . This is to strengthen the fossil and stop the acid eating the back of the plate. It also stops the acid weakening to quickly 

• I found this Informative 2

I believe the fossil you are talking about was done buy coating one side of the fossil with a resin and then they allowed the rock to dissolve in acid leaveing just the bones on the resin layer.

• I found this Informative 1

I’ve had a few of my fossils done like this. Here’s a Dapedium that was resin backed and then acid prepped: