Yorkshire prep thread

DanJeavs

Rather than just post separate posts every time, I decided to condense everything into this thread. I don’t see many people posting Yorkshire finds on here, which is a shame as there are some brilliant specimens out here. Hope you all enjoy. 

Dan. 

• I found this Informative 1

First up, is this good sized Harpoceras Falciferum, found at Sandsend. This was one of my longest preps to date, and after constant issues, it came out great

E93822C5-CBB5-4DC5-BDD4-401A4EB530CD.png

Next up, is this multi Dactylioceras sp. a rather odd piece, as it seems as though one of them is scattered amongst the block. Wether this is from predation, or fossilisation is yet to be know.314E63E7-D332-4264-AFE5-8F97A5C93A54.thumb.png.12ec133ad8da3548cd90f30cdc4b7919.png

One I posted separately recently. A large sized Dactylioceras within a nodule. Finding them this size is fairly uncommon

36C02D99-166A-4FF4-8944-F606C9F7D425.jpeg

An absolute monster I found yesterday down at Ravenscar. Phylloceras Hererophyllum. You can call these rare, or common, depending on how you look at it. You can find broken outer whorl sections quite regularly, but rarely anything intact. I’d had a fairly poor day, with mainly common finds. Then as I was leaving, I noticed an outer whorl section, still out of the shale beds. Usually I’d leave it, as said above, they usually broke. I then noticed underneath the whorl, was a limestone nodule, I decided to get the chisels out and see if there was anything there. THERE WAS! An absolute beast, measuring in at just over 14 inches (they can get quite larger). A few pieces broke off, which will easily glue back together, and some water worn areas that will need reconstructing with epoxy, but nether the less, I’m delighted with this. There’s a semicelatum at average size for scale. I started prep this afternoon, but it’s incredibly sticky, with a large amount of that good old Yorkshire pyrite to carefully lift off. 

E10CFADC-1BE2-4736-B87A-30A8484B5F6B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Hope you buy glue by the gallon. This guy is going to need some heavy duty consolidating. :d_good_luck:Can't wait to see the finished product.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

21 hours ago, caldigger said:

Hope you buy glue by the gallon. This guy is going to need some heavy duty consolidating. :d_good_luck:Can't wait to see the finished product.

Plenty of it haha. Luckily Whitby stuff doesn’t tend to fracture like a lot of other stuff. Just a few bits to glue back on and that’ll be it. Then it’s epoxy time

Finished up this lovely little Dactylioceras sp that sits nicely on its half nodule. Some beautiful displays of calcite under the shell. Although dacs are incredibly common here, sometimes they turn out to be fantastic

9DC58BF7-1BDF-4B56-9BDE-E69912DEB26D.jpeg

10 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

That one was quite big! Though it looks just as nice with outer whorls removed

Thanks. Unfortunately most of the outer whorl was crushed, so I decided to remove it 

1 minute ago, DanJeavs said:

Thanks. Unfortunately most of the outer whorl was crushed, so I decided to remove it 

Fair enough, now I have a second glance the shell does seem rather distorted or missing in places

16 hours ago, Dinoguy89 said:

Great prep work Dan :)

Why thank you :). I still have plenty more to learn as I have only been prepping for maybe 2 years

Just now, DanJeavs said:

Why thank you :). I still have plenty more to learn as I have only been prepping for maybe 2 years

Cheers Ron. Hopefully I’ll get to your level one day :notworthy:

One of my best finds to date. This beautiful Eleganticeras multiblock sits proudly in my cabinet to this day. Absolutely packed with them. 

ED0DAA46-3DA7-4B06-B22B-1064146464E3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3