DaveCO

Tides and Fossil Hunting at Brownies Beach

DaveCO

I will be in DC for a meeting soon and will have a day to spend at Brownies Beach looking for fossils. Can anybody provide advice on accessibility of the beach at high tide and as the tide recedes?

Can I start just after high tide or will I need to wait longer for tides to recede so I can access the beach? High tide will be at about 6am so I need to decide when to start. Also should I bring boots for wading or will sandals be ok? Thanks so much for advice!

Darktooth

Tide levels are different from day to day. Meaning that high tide today may be so high that the beach may not be accessed and tomorrow it may be quite low. I think though at this time of year you should be fine unless a storm comes through. Winter months seems to be when high tide is the highest. Atleast from my trips. I would atleast wear old sneakers or water shoes. Definitely not sandals. There are many things you could stub your toe on. ( Possibly a razor sharp Meg Tooth!) :P

DaveCO

That would be ironic! Thanks for the feedback Darktooth! I’ll go there shortly after high tide and look around as it recedes.

Darktooth
38 minutes ago, DaveCO said:

That would be ironic! Thanks for the feedback Darktooth! I’ll go there shortly after high tide and look around as it recedes.

Good luck and please post a trip report and let us know how it went.

DaveCO

Will do! I’m looking forward to the trip!

caldigger
1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

There are many things you could stub your toe on. ( Possibly a razor sharp Meg Tooth!) :P

Maybe that's what he's hoping!

At least he'll have an interesting story to go along with the find when he is in the ER. :D

DaveCO

That would be the worlds oldest shark bite!