Coelophysis teeth???

dinosaur man

Are these really ceolophysis teeth from the bull canyon formation I was thinking of buying them I found them on online real cheap.

4BA619D4-B0F9-4302-9CB9-D8A977F66917.thumb.png.ee86ffd5e0cadd8cf3a0c017b4935086.png

8CAF7E5B-ED2C-4A39-AD9E-31F0F0D212C3.thumb.png.2a4049ac532b763f6447c796ac77d678.png

CFA8A97C-339A-438B-96C6-FC591C4132E3.thumb.png.ef67f5ce35aedacc1aa3954410950a0a.png

Please take time to edit your photos so as not to advertise a commercial site.  :unsure:

We've mentioned this to you several times already.  Also, no need to mention price. 

Please, name your topics so that people will know what you are looking for. 

The teeth are obviously real. Their identity is in question. 

All camera phones have the ability to crop photos. 

There are also numerous free apps and online editing websites. 

Please use the tools available to you to follow the Forums guidelines. 

Thanks.  ;) 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Coelophysis teeth???

First Coelophysis is not described from the Bull Canyon formation.

The attached will provide you info on these teeth, most likely they are not dinosaurian but they would have to be examined closely to make that call.

• I found this Informative 2

I read that and I think it might be theropod but for now until I do further research on this I am going to label them Theropod sp.

29 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

I read that and I think it might be theropod but for now until I do further research on this I am going to label them Theropod sp.

If they are theropod teeth (which I'm not saying they are), the correct phrasing would be Theropoda indet. The construction you wrote is used when you can identify the genus but not the species. For example, Coelophysis sp.

• I found this Informative 1

Not sure why you believe its theropod show me the scientific evidence to back your assumption

1 hour ago, dinosaur man said:

think it might be theropod

I compared it to your diagram of a Triassic theropod tooth and it matches it has some of the same features 

I also compared it to some other thropod teeth from New Mexico like the early ceratosaur teeth from New Mexico and its very similar.

I have not seen any publication describing Ceratosaurus teeth from NM.  I hope you are not using seller images to provide you information.  They are typically wrong when it comes to triassic material why I developed  the above post.  Little is known or published.

No troodon im not using seller images and yeah it was hard to find published stuff on Triassic material 

You may keep in mind, that Archosauria are described from that formations (see Troodons Thread above).

Those widespread triassic predators have teeth (espec. Rauisuchia), which can be easily misinterpreted as those of Theropods on a very first view, see for example:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Skeletal-reconstructions-of-Batrachotomus-kupferzellensis-A-B-Skull-reconstruction_fig8_252932945

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228489806_A_new_rauisuchian_reptile_Diapsida_Archosauria_from_the_Late_Triassic_of_Poland

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/227986140_Braincase_evolution_in_suchian_archosaurs_Reptilia_Diapsida_Evidence_from_the_rauisuchian_Batrachotomus_kupferzellensis

http://www.palaeodiversity.org/pdf/08Suppl/10Palaeodiversity_SB_Schoch.pdf

So i agree with Troodon, that there's no hard evidence that these teeth belonging to any Theropod at all.

On the topic of Bull Canyon dinosaurs, this excerpt from TRIASSIC VERTEBRATE PALEONTOLOGY IN NEW MEXICO By (Andrew B. Heckert and Spencer G. Lucas) might interest you:

bull canyon.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!