scienceteacher79

I don't know where to begin. I am completely new to the forum. I will eventually be posting some fossils for help with ID and others that are identified by experts already. Having said that, this poster represents some of my fossils. I am not sure if can even read the names underneath. I may have to post separately. Any ID corrections would be graciously accepted. What I really need help with is locations. While living in FL for several years, I would go to a couple of locations in Polk Co. where I knew road base, I believe it is called aggregates were often kept. I visited and collected. What I don't know if where the shells originated. APAC Pit in Sarasota, Aggregates Pit in Bonita Springs, Star Ranch Quarry, Clewiston, Cochran Pit in Labelle to name a few possible locations. Based on the shells collected, it would seem that most come from either the Tiamiami or Caloosahatchee Formations, not sure which members....Pinecrest Beds, Bermont, Ayers Landing Ft. Denaud etc. How do I know what collection data to include on my label. I can list where I found it, but it is not its origin. ID is pretty ok with Petuch's works, but if I don't know the origin, it makes ID much more difficult. Any input or ideas to help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I have included a sample collection label for anyone to comment on how to improve. One is more vague since I don't know origin, the other is from a fossil I purchased. Date on label was date I added to my collection. How important is it to list the taxonomist such as Petuch or Conrad etc?

scienceteacher79 

FL Fossils - 20 x 30 ID Names.JPG

Fossil label 2.jpg

Fossil Label.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Great looking poster but you are correct that the image is too small to make out any of the writing. If an enlarged image is too big to add to a post, you might have to crop it into small sections or maybe just write a transcript of the names in order so we can read them. We have a forum member @MikeR who really knows Florida fossil shells and he'll likely be the best to help you.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers.

-Ken

Sorry everyone for not responding earlier as although fossils, particularly mollusks are my all consuming hobby it does not pay the bills.  I have been performing weekly business trips throughout the county for the past few months and about to be on business in South America for two weeks which will make it difficult to respond at all.  

So scienceteacher please start you own post in the ID section of you finds and I and others will respond when possible.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Keep those bills paid, Mike--especially your internet bill. We wouldn't want to lose a valuable resource here on the forum. ;)

Our questions here will wait till you have the time to comment on them. It's a great idea to post some larger detailed images in the Fossil ID section with the currently listed identification so we can have a look to make possible editorial corrections if needed.

Cheers.

-Ken

23 hours ago, digit said:

Great looking poster but you are correct that the image is too small to make out any of the writing.

It is clear if you click on it more than once. I have seen this problem more than once especially when posting photographic links. Click to open it then do it again once a new image pops up. The presses is a little balky.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It is clear if you click on it more than once.

Indeed, you are correct. I tried clicking on the image but stopped one click to early. The names are clearly readable once you see the expanded image. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers.

-Ken