Blaine

I am new at fossil hunting. I need some help with formations.

Blaine

I am new at fossil hunting and need so help with formations and how deep formations are. I have a piece of land in Patrick county Chesterfield, SC.  The property is 4.6 acres I would like to fossil hunt it and also dig a little. But curious as to how far I would have to go to find anything in this area. Thank you.

Ludwigia

I'm not from the area, so I don't know my formations there, but a good bet for finding the information you need would probably be to get in contact with a local geologically based company like for instance one which does drilling or quarrying. A detailed geological map of your area would also be of help. But maybe somebody here knows more details. Let's wait and see.

Blaine

Ok thank you I have been looking online for maps and trying to see how far below the surface the formations are but I haven't had much luck. I found out from a map it is upper cretaceous.

Fossildude19

Geologic units in Chesterfield County, SC.  LINK

scnames.gif  ba3adbeedee52624afed349386f9a441.jpg

Google the Formation names, and try to read every PDF that you can find about them. 

They should have information on how thick each unit is.  ;) 

Good Luck. 

Mark Kmiecik

Sometimes the county will have stratigraphic (as opposed to topological) maps available. This will give you an idea of the vertical layers in a given area.

Ludwigia

I found this after googling your locality + geology. Maybe it could be of help, or you could try contacting the author at Old Dominion University.

Blaine

Thank you ludwigia for the information.

minnbuckeye

This web site is my most used when trying to understand bedrock formations that I am searching:  ngmdb.usg.gov/mapview        I am sure this will help you now and into the future, wherever you hunt.

Mike

Ludwigia
15 hours ago, Blaine said:

Thank you ludwigia for the information.

You're welcome.