Contacts at New Jersey Florida Museum/Fossiling Laws

Fishinfossil

In order to obtain more information on NJ Fossil hunting laws, specifically sharks teeth, is there a contact either at the NJ State Museum or another organization that could be a definitive voice on the subject? I personally understand the laws in Colts Neck, Big Brook, etc, but need to get a grasp on all regulations in NJ. As well, if anyone has contacts for the Florida Museum or Floridian organization for similar inquiry, I would appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

You can check with the state of New Jersey for state regulations, obviously. However, counties and municipalities may have laws that supersede those. If you can find a local fossil or earth sciences club they would probably know most of them. You can also check with the nearest natural history museum. Good Luck.

Hang on for a while; we have members from NJ who may know and will chime in.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Nj: Basically you can keep any fossil you find. Just don’t mess with private land unless with permission and don’t dig into the banks.

You can’t keep artifacts found on public land in Florida, but I’m not sure about that in NJ (if there is such a thing here no one follows it). I believe there’s also a fossil permit for FL.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

9 minutes ago, Fishinfossil said:

Thanks for the replies. I interviewed Dr. Richard Hulbert at the Florida State Museum for some pertinent info.

We would appreciate you sharing it with us. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

In general -

FLORIDA

Dr. Richard Hulbert, Collections Manager of Vertebrae Paleontology for the Florida Museum of Natural History offers insight. “As long as you are only just collecting shark’s teeth, you do not need a fossil collecting permit. But if you find any other bone like a shark vertebrae or ground sloth fibula, you need the permit and must report the find, otherwise sans permit, you must put any non-shark tooth fossil back.”

Regarding general access to fossil grounds, Hulbert states “You cannot fossil hunt in any non-navigable waterways or body of water that exists within any Florida State Parks or Wildlife Refuges. “You can generally enter waterways through public boat ramps or via permission from private land owners, or at bridge crossings where there is usually an easement for public access. It can get pretty tricky crossing lands to access waterways as many of the water management districts do not allow you to walk across their land to get to the river. Some areas will have signage that prevents fossil hunting, it is best to go to individual Water Management District websites in the area you plan to hunt for more clarity. Without a doubt, if you plan on hunting shark teeth in Florida, contact the local area Division of Fish and Wildlife for local specific rules as there may be special regulations between towns, counties and municipalities.”

The fossiling permit you obtain will have general instructions regarding collection rules on the back. Hulbert adds, “As well, no permit is needed for hunting shark’s teeth along the beaches, so long as the particular county doesn’t have any rules against it, and I am not aware of any.”

So the basic game plan when setting out to collect fossil shark teeth in Florida according to Hulbert?

“One, obtain a permit. Though not needed for shark teeth, it will have all general collection rules, regulations and instructions on the back as well as allow you to keep any other potentially spectacular fossil finds. Two, contact the Division of Fish and Wildlife beforehand to understand if there are any management restrictions in the specific area you plan to fossil hunt.” The full regulations for Florida fossil collecting can be found at https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-permit/.