Found in Dorian Aftermath

jgj1120789

Hello all, I found this item while searching for shark’s teeth post-hurricane Dorian in Surf City, NC.  I am not sure at all what it is (if anything of interest at all), but it is pretty cool.  It appears to have pieces of clear glass or crystal imbedded all throughout and when I found it it had a small strand of thread wrapped around it (it ended up falling off in my pocket, although you can see what is left of the thread in the profile picture attached about half way down the item).  My first thought is that it almost looks like rusted metal.  I’m certainly no expert in arrowheads, but it does appear to have a similar shape.  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

0BC0A47C-72EF-4A60-9424-7EF358A49F58.jpeg

D8121098-B07B-4C30-8D8C-221102A080FB.jpeg

A28BC99D-DC80-4185-868D-76CDAE1BEF60.jpeg

The triangular shape is merely coincidental. In most cases knapped projectile points and other cutting tools are made from more solid flinty/cherty material with higher silica content to create sharp enduring edges. While there are some tools that are composed of other sedimentary materials (where high quality glassy material could not be obtained through trading), a tool make of a composite/conglomerate material like this would not hold an edge and would crumble too quickly to be effective as a tool.

@ynot may have a better idea if this is some known mineral type. To me I don't know if I couldn't rule out an errant fragment of some man-made material like asphalt if it does indeed contain pieces of glass (instead of quartz crystals) and possibly metal fragments.

Likely a distinctive piece that would tempt anybody to pick it up while beach combing but I'm not sure it is anything more than an unintentional human artifact. We'll see what input we get from others (possibly some who are familiar with what turns up on NC beaches.

Hoping that Dorian didn't mess things too much in the Carolinas.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Having hunted Topsail beached for many years, you will find all sorts of interesting items that are not fossils or geological. Pieces of brick, glass, rusted metal, concrete, asphalt, you name it. Without it in my hands, from the pictures it looks like a piece of asphalt that has glass fragments in it. 

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the local perspective. I get kind of an asphalt vibe as well but, as you say, it's difficult without a piece in hand.

Cheers.

-Ken