Bone find in New Jersey

Cozmos001

Hello. I found this bone on a New Jersey Beach. I found it 2 days after a recent hurricane came through. It was not burried in the sand. At first i thought it was a dried up scuba flipper but after i "knocked"on it it sounded i realized it wasnt rubber.  I have no idea what it is it was recommended by a member to come here to share it with the members they would be able to identify it. Thank you for your time I wish you all luck.

20190910_135249-1.jpg

20190910_135335-1.jpg

20190910_135427-1.jpg

Looks a lot like a scapula (shoulder bone) to me. I'm thinking possibly bovine. Perhaps @Harry Pristis would care to weigh in on this?

BTW: Welcome to the forum! Lots of great fossil information to be found here so if you are interested in fossils, you've found the right place. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, digit said:

Looks a lot like a scapula (shoulder bone) to me. I'm thinking possibly bovine. Perhaps @Harry Pristis would care to weigh in on this?

BTW: Welcome to the forum! Lots of great fossil information to be found here so if you are interested in fossils, you've found the right place. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Hello!   I looked at the bones of some 15 to 20 different aquatic animals I did not think that I would be finding a land creature bone on the edge of the beach LOL but I will say that when I looked at other bones as you suggested it maybe, they looked almost completely identical. I am satisfied with the answer and dually interested in keeping a better eye out when I'm walking around. Very interesting hobby I've never thought about but just stumbled upon. I look forward to examining some of the finds  that have been here,  and that will be here. Good luck everyone! 

Thanks again for your help.

15681395746553084914999995692345.jpg

Edited by Cozmos001

Modern bones of domesticated animals do tend to turn up quite often in unexpected places--especially after storms move things around a bit.

Pennsylvania has a nice diversity of fossils (many, not surprisingly, from the Pennsylvanian age). Some searches here on this forum might turn up some information that might fuel an interest in this wonderful (and addictive) hobby.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, digit said:

Modern bones of domesticated animals do tend to turn up quite often in unexpected places--especially after storms move things around a bit.

Agreed. One year we had some powerful rainstorms and afterwards the beach was littered with bovine carcasses from cows getting swept into rivers that drain into the ocean. 

The beach was quite nasty with decaying cattle for a while.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 2 years later...

If this was near LBI, there is a long history of cow bones that are about 100 years old washing up on the coast. Evidently a lot of European ships would come to the area with livestock bones for processing into fertilizer. One big ship ran aground off LBI and lost its cargo (though the crew survived). I know this is an old post, but eager to make a small contribution to the community since I'm brand new and just learning. You can read more here.

Edited by Jawamac