I have acquired  a 6' Mammoth tusk that is in pretty good shape with just the tip missing, I'm wondering if it's possible to rebuild the tip that would look natural, or leave it alone. it has been gathered several years ago. It has been kept dry, should I clamp it anyway or will that not make any difference as far as trying to close any gaps, I know I will have to sand it before and after filling any gaps. I'm surprised at the color as its a dark cream color instead of the real dark color you normally see in tusks. The tusk seems to be stable, but what do I know? All I know is I want to restore it for my collection as a center piece. I want to fill in the cracks. Should i use colored Sculpting clay, Epoxy, or what? I also bought 2 bottles of Butvar B-98 to use with Acetone I believe the bottles of B-98 are only half pint each, I bought them through Amazon. I have no idea what proportions of B-98 to a Gal of Acetone should be in order to dip it also turkey baster as a back up, I bought a 36" window flower box thinking that might work. I read one suggestion would be to make a hammock of poly between a pair of sawhorses, does that  sound do-able, or the window flower box container sound do-able, in order to impregnate the tusk with the B-98 solution, I have never tried any restoration other than furniture. I need all the help and guidance I can get in this matter,  

DSCN4229.JPG

I believe B98 is insoluble in acetone. You need to use ethanol. Dissolve 1 part B98 in 50 parts ethanol by weight.

If you want to use acetone as your solvent you need Butvar B76 or Paraloid B72.

For something this big, I would brush the solution on, paying special attention to the cracks and any delaminations.

Crack filling can be done using Apoxie Sculpt, Magic Sculpt, or Paleo Sculpt. All come in different colors and can be mixed to approximate your needed coloration.

I would not attempt to reconstruct the tip as this tends to detract from the preferred look most collectors desire.

• I found this Informative 1

Kris is right; Butvar B 98 dissolves in ethanol. See this poster from the American Museum of Natural History: 

http://vertpaleo.org/For-Members/Preparators-Resources/Preparators-Resources-PDF-files/Goldberg-and-Davidson_2014.aspx

Goldberg-and-Davidson_2014.aspx

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I'm just curious what postage is to the 93446 zipcode. :heartylaugh:

It is determined by zip code. Just for you by pony express it is $93,446.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

15 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It is determined by zip code. Just for you by pony express it is $93,446.

Anybody have change for a $100,000.00 bill? 

On 10/09/2019 at 11:11 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Kris is right; Butvar B 98 dissolves in ethanol. See this poster from the American Museum of Natural History: 

http://vertpaleo.org/For-Members/Preparators-Resources/Preparators-Resources-PDF-files/Goldberg-and-Davidson_2014.aspx

Goldberg-and-Davidson_2014.aspx

Thanks @DPS Ammonite. That’s really useful.

Nick