Jump to content
frankh8147

Possible Triassic tracks

Recommended Posts

frankh8147

Mercer County, New Jersey, USA.

 

Hello,

 

 I recently found these two specimens and was wondering if they look good for Triassic tracks. If so, I heard they are very difficult to attribute to a certain species but any information or leads on that would be greatly appreciated (or should I just stick to the Cretaceous streams :) ). 

 

Note - these are NOT from the spot I found my last trackway (#5 on link below), I've just been obsessed lately with finding similar spots close to home. 

 

As always, all help is greatly appreciated!

-Frank

 

 

 

 

tr1.jpg

tr1buse.jpg

tr2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood

Sorry. I don't see tracks here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Hey Frank, 

 

Unfortunately, ... I'm inclined to agree with Dale. 

There appear to be corresponding marks above the left and middle toes,on the first item.

Maybe the beginnings of mudcracks?  :shrug:

 

tr1.thumb.jpg.1c3ff7e5fc40a3db41f1308663dac2de.jpg

 

The second one is tough. I would say maybe? 

The angle seems a bit off between the  "middle toe" and the longer one.:headscratch:

 

tr2.thumb.jpg.65970c6855e8c6f55e550a49a9f4ead4.jpg

 

The mystery blobs on the left are tough to explain in any morphology of a track.  :shrug:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankh8147
56 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Hey Frank, 

 

Unfortunately, ... I'm inclined to agree with Dale. 

There appear to be corresponding marks above the left and middle toes,on the first item.

Maybe the beginnings of mudcracks?  :shrug:

 

tr1.thumb.jpg.1c3ff7e5fc40a3db41f1308663dac2de.jpg

 

The second one is tough. I would say maybe? 

The angle seems a bit off between the  "middle toe" and the longer one.:headscratch:

 

tr2.thumb.jpg.65970c6855e8c6f55e550a49a9f4ead4.jpg

 

The mystery blobs on the left are tough to explain in any morphology of a track.  :shrug:

 

 

Thanks guys! Honestly, mud cracks in Triassic stone wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as the spot I went to in the past that did have Triassic tracks had a lot of them so that was one of the aspects I was looking for. 

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth dragging my tools to this location ( which isn't the easiest to get to haha).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Auspex

Triassic palm-reading ain't easy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankh8147
1 hour ago, Auspex said:

Triassic palm-reading ain't easy...

No, not at all haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark Kmiecik

If they are tracks I don't think they are distinct enough to be labeled as such. I would prefer to see two or more that are at least similar if not same. I would want the specimen to make its own argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood
3 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Maybe kind of Rhynchosauroides peaybodi

Want him to lug those tools out there to check, huh ? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pemphix
1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Want him to lug those tools out there to check, huh ? :)

I just want to point out, that it could be some sort of tracks similar to those known as Rhynchsauroides from triassic layers....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood
26 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

I just want to point out, that it could be some sort of tracks similar to those known as Rhynchsauroides from triassic layers....

Culpable deniability. I understand. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pemphix
2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Culpable deniability. I understand. ;)

No, it's just that what i stated: I just want to point out, that it could be some sort of tracks similar to those known as Rhynchsauroides from triassic layers....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plax

I was also thinking of these traces. Am thinking that the animal swam in shallow water and its claws barely scraped the sediment. Best viewed by an expert I'd think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood
1 hour ago, Pemphix said:

No, it's just that what i stated: I just want to point out, that it could be some sort of tracks similar to those known as Rhynchsauroides from triassic layers....

I was actually more just toying with frank. He probably should be looking out there for more evidence.

You always want to be able to deny it if he just gets tired though. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pemphix

:thumbsu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frankh8147

Okay haha, point taken, I'll be going for it in the next week or so :) . I think my Cretaceous streams were just whispering to me "don't bother with that Frank, come hang out with us!"

 

Honestly, the fact that I live so close to areas where Triassic fossils have been found in the past has been driving me crazy so I've been looking for those context clues regarding where I should search. I was lucky enough to come up with this piece in Pennsylvania a few months back and since than, I've really been going into over-drive looking for some.

 

I'll see if I can come up with anything definitive. :)

 

 

 

 

 

tracks best1b.jpg

tracksbest5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×