Possible Triassic tracks

frankh8147

Mercer County, New Jersey, USA.

Hello,

I recently found these two specimens and was wondering if they look good for Triassic tracks. If so, I heard they are very difficult to attribute to a certain species but any information or leads on that would be greatly appreciated (or should I just stick to the Cretaceous streams :) ). 

Note - these are NOT from the spot I found my last trackway (#5 on link below), I've just been obsessed lately with finding similar spots close to home. 

As always, all help is greatly appreciated!

-Frank

tr1.jpg

tr1buse.jpg

tr2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Frank, 

Unfortunately, ... I'm inclined to agree with Dale. 

There appear to be corresponding marks above the left and middle toes,on the first item.

Maybe the beginnings of mudcracks?  :shrug:

tr1.thumb.jpg.1c3ff7e5fc40a3db41f1308663dac2de.jpg

The second one is tough. I would say maybe? 

The angle seems a bit off between the  "middle toe" and the longer one.:headscratch:

tr2.thumb.jpg.65970c6855e8c6f55e550a49a9f4ead4.jpg

The mystery blobs on the left are tough to explain in any morphology of a track.  :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

56 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Hey Frank, 

Unfortunately, ... I'm inclined to agree with Dale. 

There appear to be corresponding marks above the left and middle toes,on the first item.

Maybe the beginnings of mudcracks?  :shrug:

tr1.thumb.jpg.1c3ff7e5fc40a3db41f1308663dac2de.jpg

The second one is tough. I would say maybe? 

The angle seems a bit off between the  "middle toe" and the longer one.:headscratch:

tr2.thumb.jpg.65970c6855e8c6f55e550a49a9f4ead4.jpg

The mystery blobs on the left are tough to explain in any morphology of a track.  :shrug:

Thanks guys! Honestly, mud cracks in Triassic stone wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as the spot I went to in the past that did have Triassic tracks had a lot of them so that was one of the aspects I was looking for. 

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth dragging my tools to this location ( which isn't the easiest to get to haha).

Triassic palm-reading ain't easy...

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If they are tracks I don't think they are distinct enough to be labeled as such. I would prefer to see two or more that are at least similar if not same. I would want the specimen to make its own argument.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

3 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Maybe kind of Rhynchosauroides peaybodi

Want him to lug those tools out there to check, huh ? :)

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Want him to lug those tools out there to check, huh ? :)

I just want to point out, that it could be some sort of tracks similar to those known as Rhynchsauroides from triassic layers....

• I found this Informative 2

26 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

I just want to point out, that it could be some sort of tracks similar to those known as Rhynchsauroides from triassic layers....

Culpable deniability. I understand. ;)

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Culpable deniability. I understand. ;)

No, it's just that what i stated: I just want to point out, that it could be some sort of tracks similar to those known as Rhynchsauroides from triassic layers....

I was also thinking of these traces. Am thinking that the animal swam in shallow water and its claws barely scraped the sediment. Best viewed by an expert I'd think.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Pemphix said:

No, it's just that what i stated: I just want to point out, that it could be some sort of tracks similar to those known as Rhynchsauroides from triassic layers....

I was actually more just toying with frank. He probably should be looking out there for more evidence.

You always want to be able to deny it if he just gets tired though. :)

Okay haha, point taken, I'll be going for it in the next week or so :) . I think my Cretaceous streams were just whispering to me "don't bother with that Frank, come hang out with us!"

Honestly, the fact that I live so close to areas where Triassic fossils have been found in the past has been driving me crazy so I've been looking for those context clues regarding where I should search. I was lucky enough to come up with this piece in Pennsylvania a few months back and since than, I've really been going into over-drive looking for some.

I'll see if I can come up with anything definitive. :)

tracks best1b.jpg

tracksbest5.jpg