I can’t find this on google. Norway whiffle bird??

Xoomsmith

"A petrified rectum of a norway whiffle bird."

It came with a card I no longer have.

The card describes it as a fossil. I do have a picture of the card and will upload it as well as a picture of the item.

The name Ruben Shafer is on the card with what I assume to be a date next to it 1962.

B8853709-6EE1-4EC6-A587-4F534979A175.jpeg

Welcome to the fossil forum from Austin.  What I believe you have there is a button coral.  Someone else may come along soon to provide genus and species.  I suspect that it is modern and not fossil, but that's just a suspicion on my part.

Thanks for your insight. I have a picture of the card it came with here. I can only assume the item I have is what it refers to. Would a picture of the items underside help?

9426FBF7-20C2-49A5-9C09-2DB9D2C16DBA.jpeg

I suspect that this was meant to be some kind of prank. A birds rectum actually fossilizing is a very slim chance.  As in slim to none. It is an interesting  piece and I am very curious  about what it actually is. This Ruben guy seems to be a prankster!

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Well well.... I guess I will go cry now lol good to know that its not so rare at least. Thank you so much! I wasn’t expecting any reply so quickly 

13 minutes ago, connorp said:

It is the skeleton of a modern Fungia coral.

Correct.  Also commonly called a "plate coral", they are popular for use in fish aquariums.

Here are a few shots of what they look like alive.

20190911_183851.png

20190911_183912.png

20190911_183829.png

• I found this Informative 1

I saw a similar item on the auction site with the same card, a few years ago. 

Poor woman wanted beaucoup bucks for it. :eyeroll:

I messaged her to tell her it was a prank gift. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Not to mention that there is no such thing as a wiffle bird...outside of cartoons. And fictional books. First used around 1927. Made famous in Popeyes cartoon. Although there is a bird flight movement called whiffling.

• I found this Informative 1

I couldn't help but notice that the "ammonite" which is partly visible in your photos which you used as a pedestal to support the button coral appears to be completely carved.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

32 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I couldn't help but notice that the "ammonite" which is partly visible in your photos which you used as a pedestal to support the button coral appears to be completely carved.

I think that might be a decorative wood carving that is not intended to represent a real fossil.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to I can’t find this on google. Norway whiffle bird??