Jump to content
JBMugu

Royal Peacock Opal Mine

Recommended Posts

JBMugu

jawpp__7510446.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Wow! 

Great finds!  

Good on ya.  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pemphix

Cool !:thumbsu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al Dente

The teeth don’t look like camel. Maybe peccary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcbshark

Awesome find Jesse, I'm with Eric too. Look like peccary to me as well:fistbump:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

I was surprised that a peccary jaw could be found in an opal mine. Research on how opals form gave me the understanding needed to correlate the two. I am now a more educated man thanks to your post!!! A few questions for you. Are fossils frequently found at the mine? Is this a spot you would definitely recommend if one is to visit Nevada?? Now that I am retired, I have the ability to travel a bit more, IF the stock market doesn't crash!! LOL Maybe I should invest in an opal mine instead of the stock market. At least I would have fun with my investment vs headaches with the Dow.

 

 Mike

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger
6 hours ago, Al Dente said:

The teeth don’t look like camel. Maybe peccary?

I would agree, the molars look right.

20190912_073609.png

20190912_073545.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JBMugu
2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I was surprised that a peccary jaw could be found in an opal mine. Research on how opals form gave me the understanding needed to correlate the two. I am now a more educated man thanks to your post!!! A few questions for you. Are fossils frequently found at the mine? Is this a spot you would definitely recommend if one is to visit Nevada?? Now that I am retired, I have the ability to travel a bit more, IF the stock market doesn't crash!! LOL Maybe I should invest in an opal mine instead of the stock market. At least I would have fun with my investment vs headaches with the Dow.

 

 Mike

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike,

 

Fossils are frequently found at the mine. Most are wood and pine cones but there is definitely some mammal material found as well. If you are really lucky the mammal fossils will have precious opal infill. I found a bone this year where the spongy bone was filled with precious opal! The mine owner also has a ridiculous collection of native american artifacts that have been found over the years.

 

This is a spot I would recommend on visiting, I try to go at least once a year. It is a remote location in the Sheldon Wildlife Refuge - 90 miles from a gas station, but they have an RV park with cabins and showers (I like the cabin). It is a really quite place to relax and explore for fossils and minerals. I would recommend going early or late in the season as it gets really hot mid summer, and they close for the winter. If you want to PM me I can send you a link to a video my wife made for the mine.

 

Jesse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JBMugu
8 hours ago, Al Dente said:

The teeth don’t look like camel. Maybe peccary?

I agree the teeth do look like a peccary. The mine owners thought camel but I think peccary is a better fit. There appears to be tusk remnants on both the upper and lower jaw sections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JBMugu
2 hours ago, caldigger said:

I would agree, the molars look right.

20190912_073609.png

20190912_073545.png

Doren,

Thanks for the picture it looks like a match to me. If you get a chance you should check this place out. Its just like digging at STH there is  a nice layer. Most people struggle but after digging enough in Bakersfield this place is easy! Its where I get my summer fossil fix.

 

JEsse

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Great find! Congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaleoNoel

That's an awesome find! From your other posts i've seen it seems like an awesome place to hunt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot
23 hours ago, JBMugu said:

I thought I would share my experience on the latest trip to the Royal Peacock Opal Mine.

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing this fantastic find.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JBMugu
On 9/12/2019 at 6:39 PM, PaleoNoel said:

That's an awesome find! From your other posts i've seen it seems like an awesome place to hunt!

I think it is, if your ever out that way I would stop in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×