Sand tiger shark teeth ID confirmation

hokietech96

Found these on the NJ beach this summer. Just looking for confirmation that I ID them correctly. Thank you in advance for any feedback. 

B739D66C-C1CA-48A1-A594-31348C72310B.thumb.jpeg.ceccef173736e4911e5b5030858469d5.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Do you know the age of the teeth? Could be C. taurus if these are Pliocene or younger. Might be C. cuspidata or other species if older. 

I took the liberty of rotating and brightening your picture.  :)

I hope that's OK. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you for cleaning up the picture and rotating it.  I am guessing they are more modern because I found them on the beach in Atlantic  City NJ.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Thank you for cleaning up the picture and rotating it.  I am guessing they are more modern because I found them on the beach in Atlantic  City NJ.

Atlantic City? Wow.  That's a first. 

I'd wager that they're likely Pliocene teeth, as others of that age have been found at Cape May and Shark Inlet.  Likely C. taurus

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

• 2 years later...

I live in Ventnor and I'm always combing the beaches without much luck! Did you find them on the surface or sifting? Great finds! 

12 hours ago, camps92 said:

I live in Ventnor and I'm always combing the beaches without much luck! Did you find them on the surface or sifting? Great finds! 

Teeth like this come out of the beach because they were pumped from offshore in renourishment projects. I'll let the OP reply of course but usually folks at NJ beaches just pick them up because there isn't an abundance worth screening that far south. So you from Ventnor or Berlin? Am a former Atco resident. 

welcome to the forum.

21 hours ago, camps92 said:

I find them walking on the beach.  I do sifting but no luck getting anything good.  The great white in my profile pic i found on the beach this summer.  I also found amazing colored bull shark tooth as well.  

11 hours ago, Plax said:

Teeth like this come out of the beach because they were pumped from offshore in renourishment projects. I'll let the OP reply of course but usually folks at NJ beaches just pick them up because there isn't an abundance worth screening that far south. So you from Ventnor or Berlin? Am a former Atco resident. 

welcome to the forum.

Awesome! My fiance lives in Ventnor, so I'm down there quite a lot! We've done trips to NC and Maryland, as well as Big Brook in NJ for teeth, but it would be awesome to find some local teeth...I'm so addicted! I live in Berlin and teach in Waterford....small world! 

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

I find them walking on the beach.  I do sifting but no luck getting anything good.  The great white in my profile pic i found on the beach this summer.  I also found amazing colored bull shark tooth as well.  

So jealous, dude! Fiance and I have done trips down south (NC, Maryland), as well as Big Brook up in north Jersey for teeth, but it would be awesome to find some on our own beaches. I'm always searching around the Ventnor fishing pier and down to Margate, but maybe I'll start walking left towards the AC side. Thanks for the tips!