Ludwigia

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Just shy of 200 hours. Wow! You did a great job on that fish!

Bobby Rico

Brilliant sounds like you had a fantastic time and fish is stunning. Congratulations   :dinothumb:

FossilDAWG

The fish turned out great !! :wub:

That lab looks just like my basement.  NOT !

Don

WhodamanHD

Awesome prep job!

RJB

200 hours seems like a heck of alot of hours for a fish prep for a serrata but I have to say,  you did a  really good job.  My only question is,  what is the size of this fish?  Would also love to see what else you prep in the future. 

RB

gieserguy

Thank you all! I'm really really proud of it :wub:

45 minutes ago, RJB said:

200 hours seems like a heck of alot of hours for a fish prep for a serrata but I have to say,  you did a  really good job.  My only question is,  what is the size of this fish?  Would also love to see what else you prep in the future. 

RB

There's a ruler in the full picture of it! The fish is about 8 inches itself, the whole slab is about 9 1/2 inches. :D

JohnBrian

Great work! Love the time lapse!

Fossilis Willis

Nice little prisky, good job. Not a bad summer gig.

Ptychodus04

Good job on the prep. 200 hours with a pin vise paid off! Man, that’s a long time on a fish but that’s part of the learning process. The biggest lesson I try to teach new preparators is working slowly. Looks like you learned that lesson well. It will repay you tenfold in the future on preps.

Pagurus

That's a great looking fish, and a summer to remember, I'm sure. I'm sure the kids enjoyed peering through the window, learning how fossil preparation is done, and adding "paleontologist" to the prospective career list. Well done.

Peat Burns

I'd hate to have been the one working on the sturgeon jacket.   That thing is a bowl of spaghetti that will take decades.

deutscheben

Cool, thanks for sharing! I have been to the Field and seen the lab many times, but I never seem to be there when folks are actually prepping. What a neat opportunity to learn skills and contribute to the collection at the museum. 

gieserguy
On 9/13/2019 at 6:12 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

Good job on the prep. 200 hours with a pin vise paid off! Man, that’s a long time on a fish but that’s part of the learning process. The biggest lesson I try to teach new preparators is working slowly. Looks like you learned that lesson well. It will repay you tenfold in the future on preps.

Yeah it sure got tedious at times, but it really taught me what it takes to do a good prep! I’m really glad I was able to learn it alongside the masters. 

21 hours ago, Pagurus said:

That's a great looking fish, and a summer to remember, I'm sure. I'm sure the kids enjoyed peering through the window, learning how fossil preparation is done, and adding "paleontologist" to the prospective career list. Well done.

I remember looking through that exact window when I was a little kid, and man did it make me want to go into paleontology! And now here I am :)

14 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Cool, thanks for sharing! I have been to the Field and seen the lab many times, but I never seem to be there when folks are actually prepping. What a neat opportunity to learn skills and contribute to the collection at the museum. 

I know for certain they will be there from 9 to 5 on weekdays, just not during lunchtime! Hopefully you’ll be able to see them the next time you make it out to the Museum!

17 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I'd hate to have been the one working on the sturgeon jacket.   That thing is a bowl of spaghetti that will take decades.

Yeah that jacket is ridiculous, she’s worked on it for far over 2000 hours. But she’s just about done actually! It’s amazing how many jumbled fish are in there. The patience she must have...

Bob Saunders

Great job, I can't tell if the blue hose is for air conditioning but I assume central dust collection. What is the focus distance and power of the microscopes. I assume they have like mini fiber optic lighting? The black cable and it looks like spot lights which I have seen in pictures only. New LED lights have come a long ways.   

gieserguy
3 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

Great job, I can't tell if the blue hose is for air conditioning but I assume central dust collection. What is the focus distance and power of the microscopes. I assume they have like mini fiber optic lighting? The black cable and it looks like spot lights which I have seen in pictures only. New LED lights have come a long ways.   

Yeah, the blue hoses are for dust collection. We also used it while opening field jackets, especially when they contained fiberglass. I’m not well versed in microscopes, but here is a Link to the microscope I was using if you want to check it out. And yeah, I’m pretty sure they were fiber optic lighting, with those little swan neck lights. 

jpc

Nice work on the fish.  When I train people in the lab, I always tell folks it is better to do a good job slowly than a bad job fastly.

The sturgeon/paddlefish jacket is amazing.  I got to see it a few years ago.   

gieserguy
4 hours ago, jpc said:

Nice work on the fish.  When I train people in the lab, I always tell folks it is better to do a good job slowly than a bad job fastly.

The sturgeon/paddlefish jacket is amazing.  I got to see it a few years ago.   

I agree, much better to really take the time to make it nice! Nothing worse than a bad prep job on what could have been a beautiful specimen...

Yeah isn’t that paddlefish/sturgeon jacket great? The woman who works on it is so dedicated! (And just a great person overall too :))