Megalosaurid tooth?

bcfossilcollector

Hi. Just thought I’d try to verify the identification of this tooth. The seller claims it is a Megalosaurid tooth from the Lourinha Formation of Portugal. Unfortunately this is the best image of the tooth I have for now. Will try to obtain others. 

EAA9DD29-12FE-414F-9B9A-C77D81B8B4B5.jpeg

I do not own any Portuguese teeth myself so I can't help. I have seen Portuguese supposed-Megalosaurids from more than one seller and trader though

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Like Andy, I don’t own any Portuguese material so I may not be able to help as well as others.

that being said, I know the seller and have messaged him so hopefully he can give some reasoning and help 

• I found this Informative 1

I always break out in a cold sweat when I see one of my teeth on the forum!

Okay, well there's not a lot of information on teeth from this formation so when I do get teeth from the Lourinhã & Alcobaça Formations they're usually labelled theropod indet. However the guy who collected the tooth seemed to think this was a Megalosaurid tooth (he's been collecting dino teeth in Portugal for a couple of decades) and after studying the tooth and doing a bit of reading I agreed with him.

That paper fossilsonwheels mentioned was useful.  The one linked below (HENDRICKX 2015) was too.  For this tooth, the serration count on the mesial carina is approximately 5/mm and on the distal 4.2/mm, making the DSDI 1.19.  The crown base width is 3mm and length 6mm, giving a crown base ratio of 0.5.  Also, the mesial carnina stops short of the base.  All of that seems in line with what you'd expect from a Megalosaurid tooth, not to mention the shape of the serrations and tooth overall.

Hope I haven't overreached with the ID but I'm fairly confident in it, especially so given the guy who collected it initially thought it was a Megalosaurid tooth too.

Here's that paper on the dentition of Megalosaurid theropods:

app000562013 627 642(1).pdf

• I found this Informative 3