Kimmeridgian serpulid(s)

DE&i

Certainly matches my concept of serpulid worm tubes. I've no experience in the Kimmeridge Clay or Jurassic fossils in general so we'll see if someone can speak more authoritatively. Cool looking concretion with lots going on there.

Cheers.

-Ken

4 hours ago, DE&i said:

it almost appears to be two types of Serpula entombed in this nodule. Would anyone agree. 

I see two different external morphologies on the serpula above, one with "groves" along the length of the tube and one with horizontal "rings".  So, based on the different morphologies, I would say "yes", I would agree.  But I also am no expert on Jurassic fossils.

And I agree with Ken, it is a very nice specimen with great detail and a lot of nice fossils in the matrix. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you @grandpayou've prompted me into action. 

I now know that a deposit known as the uppermost Ampthill Clay is well exposed at this particular site. That's focused my attention away from the Kimmeridge Clay deposit that you also find there for the time being. For reasons that I've also read that this particular Ampthill Clay deposit qouted below. 

"contains a low-diversity fauna dominated by deep infaunal bivalves and epifaunal serpulids

The next qouted paragraph of research material is a little difficult to understand but the picture is becoming clearer. 

"The faunas of this particular Kimmeridge Clay are distinctly more diverse and they suggest a range of substrate types from soft to firm. The presence of phosphatic nodules and high fragmentation indices attests to low sedimentation rates. The phosphatic nodules are reworked only in the Oxytoma shell beds"

So to summarise and research further. 

1. I'm quite sure this is a phosphatic nodule 

2. It does contain the bivalve Oxytoma 

3. And it certainly contains serpulids 

Still not sure which Serpulid, but research is the key to progress (wrong or right) or is that (right or wrong) :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

9 hours ago, DE&i said:

I'm not sure, but it almost appears to be two types of Serpula entombed in this nodule. Would anyone agree. 

Kimmeridgian 

Kimmeridge Clay 

UK 

OI000357.JPG

OI000373.JPG

OI000371.JPG

OI000360.JPG

They look similar to Pyrgopolon (formally hamulus) onyx serpulids.  I do not know if Pyrgopolon occur in the Jurassic. The reference at bottom shows several types of Cretaceous serpulids that look similar and occur in Belgium and the Netherlands. 

http://www.marinespecies.org/polychaeta/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=126997

Serpulids from Belgium and Netherlands: 455816

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.