Hornby Island fossil ID help

Cricket

Found on Hornby Island, Fossil Beach, September 13, 2019. Need help identifying this fossil.  Looks like a bivalve to me but i am still pretty new to fossil identification.  

I will have to post a ‘part 2’ to upload the second photo.  

0EEF42EF-2985-4796-8A33-D2218041E513.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Hornby Island fossil ID help

You need to resize your photos to be under 4 mb per post. 

Then you can add them in replies to this topic. 

If you get an error message saying you cannot upload anymore, refresh your browser. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Also, try to put something in your pictures for scale. 

Ruler, yardstick, tape measure. 

Crop the photos to show only the fossil and scale, instead of all the background. ;) 

0EEF42EF-2985-4796-8A33-D2218041E513.jpeg.de30f528cc385b07c7d92bdd398db5d8.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ok, trying again...this time with a yardstick and fully cropped. The smallest size I could compress it to is 2mb. Clearly still too large so I have some learning to do on that front.  I’m posting one photo now and will reply with another.  

7289B6CF-186A-4F9A-BD45-7AA33BC4CAF6.jpeg

I'm confident this is a concretion with a Baculites ammonite.  Baculites occidentalis is very common in concretions from Manning and Collishaw Points on the north-west side of Hornby.  @fossisle knows the area well and he can confirm or refute my suggestion.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

Hi Don,

You mentioned Ned that you think this might be a concreting with the ammonite in it.  i should mention Where I found the fossil. The brown side of it was protruding from a black shale formation as I walked the beach. I wasn’t sure it was anything and just kind of kicked it with my foot and it popped out of the black shale as you see it.  I realized it wasn’t just a round rock when I saw the nacre shimmering. Does that help? 

I think Don is right... Nothing you have said contradicts concretion with baculite in it! I have some similar specimens from there, and so do a lot of people, apparently.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you both so much. I’ve been researching Baculites and realized that my husband picked one up too (I think). Photos attached it it’s hard to get a good picture.  Can you confirm?  The photo with the fossil to the left of the ruler is looking straight down on the narrow end of it. The other photo is the other end of the concretion which is about 11cm high. The shell of the fossil is easily seen at both ends.  This one is also from Fossil Beach on Hornby.  

064AAE16-51EE-4370-BA4D-EC8197DA9806.jpeg

1434F214-E2DB-465E-8DE4-F5E8CF7369CA.jpeg

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

What a great descriptor.  Is there a way to remove some of the concretion around the Baculitidae or is that too risky?  

It can be done with lots of tedious work, tons of patience and the right tools. Sometimes it can be done with a hend-held pin vise, but I think that would take close to 100 hours on with this concretion and "power" tools would be preferable. Unfortunately, those cost hundreds of dollars for all the equipment involved to get the job done correctly. You can try a cheap vibrating electric engraving tool, but they tend to pulverize fragile material. I would personally just leave this one as-is for now and should you eventually get into fossil preparation you could prep this one once you have acquired experience since it appears to be relatively fragile and could easily be seriously damaged. It looks like the concretion contains a fairly decent specimen, and it is best to practice fossil prep on lesser quality specimens. You could prep it using hand tools, and would be less likely to mess it up that way, but as I mentioned it will take a large chunk of your free time and if it is as fragile as it looks you'll probably turn a decent specimen into trash. Of course, it's your choice and your fossil, but I recommend practicing on lesser quality material. If by chance you can't find lesser quality material then you have our combined envy.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

You can try tapping it along the middle of the long axis just on the plane of the part that is showing. Tap with a small hammer, they usually break along the shell.

If lucky some more of the "ammolite" will be exposed or just the normal shell.

Cephalopods rule!!

Fascinating. I think i’ll Look for some fossil prep training at the Burke Museum here in Seattle before I touch this one.  I can’t wait to get back to Hornby Islan though!  Thanks for all your help. 

Incredible find Cricket! I am in love with the colors. I can't say that I have ever seen something like that in real life or online/books. Way to go :)