Cretaceous New Jersery hunt 9-14-19

Darktooth

I'm glad you had fun Dave! It was definitely a fun dig.

I especially like the Mosasaur tooth, like I told you at the time, it's in really good condition for the area! Per the bivalves, it's not that particular one in the picture that is the really rare one but a different one from the same sediment/preservation type; that study is coming out next year.

Cheers!

Frank

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I also wanted to mention that I had intentions of trying to collect micro matrix yesterday. Unfortunately the water levels were very low. :unsure:That meant that there was not enough water height to make it over two screens stacked on top of each other. I will try again when the water levels are a bit higher. 

Nice job. Looks like you had a lot of success for a late summer search. Free bit of advice the next time the water levels are low and you want to collect micro matrix. Since you had a shovel, you can sometimes create a hole that will accommodate the multiple screens for at least a couple sifts before it starts to fill back in. Just make sure to backfill it completely when you are done so someone or something doesn't inadvertently trip in it. Also make sure you aren't violating any laws in doing so. Congrats on the mosasaur tooth!

7 hours ago, MicroTooth said:

Nice job. Looks like you had a lot of success for a late summer search. Free bit of advice the next time the water levels are low and you want to collect micro matrix. Since you had a shovel, you can sometimes create a hole that will accommodate the multiple screens for at least a couple sifts before it starts to fill back in. Just make sure to backfill it completely when you are done so someone or something doesn't inadvertently trip in it. Also make sure you aren't violating any laws in doing so. Congrats on the mosasaur tooth!

Thanks!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:40 PM, Darktooth said:

Another first for me is this Squalicorax pristodontus. Until now, all of my Squali's have been " kaupi"

20190914_212803.jpg

looks like a symphysial if squalis have such a tooth position

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Plax said:

looks like a symphysial if squalis have such a tooth position

Hi Don,

I know Squalicorax “kaupi” very rarely has a symphyseal tooth position. Don’t know about pristodontus, but this tooth might be an anteriormost tooth. 

Joseph

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

21 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I'm glad you had fun Dave! It was definitely a fun dig.

I especially like the Mosasaur tooth, like I told you at the time, it's in really good condition for the area! Per the bivalves, it's not that particular one in the picture that is the really rare one but a different one from the same sediment/preservation type; that study is coming out next year.

Cheers!

Frank

Hi Frank,

do you possibly have any pics of that rare bivalve?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

17 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Hi Don,

I know Squalicorax “kaupi” very rarely has a symphyseal tooth position. Don’t know about pristodontus, but this tooth might be an anteriormost tooth. 

Joseph

Reason I say this is a jaw position variant is that all campanian and maastrichtian squalicorax that are small or tiny look like kaupi morph. Only the very large ones look like pristodontus to me. I'm not adamant about this observation and would love to see a tiny pristodontus morph. This is a casual comment and not to be considered scientific. I also realize that there is probably more to the species' description than the presence or absence of the prominent notch. I believe that elasmo.com treats the subject very well.

5 hours ago, Plax said:

Reason I say this is a jaw position variant is that all campanian and maastrichtian squalicorax that are small or tiny look like kaupi morph. Only the very large ones look like pristodontus to me. I'm not adamant about this observation and would love to see a tiny pristodontus morph. This is a casual comment and not to be considered scientific. I also realize that there is probably more to the species' description than the presence or absence of the prominent notch. I believe that elasmo.com treats the subject very well.

I agree that there is a great size discrepancy and that along with the notch are good indicators. I do have a couple tiny teeth that might be pristodontus but I’m not totally sure. Unfortunately no pics of them right now.

That is awesome!  Congrats.  I have not found a  mosasaur tooth  there yet.  Only been there 4x in the past month.  I am going to try to go on Monday and see if I can have some of your luck!

53 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

That is awesome!  Congrats.  I have not found a  mosasaur tooth  there yet.  Only been there 4x in the past month.  I am going to try to go on Monday and see if I can have some of your luck!

I have been going for 12 years and this is my first. But I took my brother ( who could care less about fossils) the first year I started going, and he found a decent one in the first half hour we were there! Good Luck on your hunt! The Jersey locals make it seem easy.:P

Thanks.  I will share my findings.  Two weeks ago I was all excited because I found 2 bones.... turned out deer bones.  haha

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

I have been going for 12 years and this is my first. But I took my brother ( who could care less about fossils) the first year I started going, and he found a decent one in the first half hour we were there! Good Luck on your hunt! The Jersey locals make it seem easy.:P

haha just realized this quoting thing

Congratulations Dave.  That mo' tooth is an especially impressive find for someone who doesn't come down here that often. I agree. Frank is a wonderful companion.

16 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations Dave.  That mo' tooth is an especially impressive find for someone who doesn't come down here that often. I agree. Frank is a wonderful companion.

Thanks Jeff. Probably the reason that it took 12 years to find one is that I dont make it down that often.  I am trying to change that. Actually this last trip was my 4th time down in a little over a year. Some years I didn't make it down at all because my focus was on Calvert Cliffs, and of course, the Devonian of New York. But I have been getting more interested in the Cretaceous Period.

Hi Dave. It would be great to see you in New Jersey more often. Hopefully we'll get a chance to wade the streams in Monmouth, New Jersey together some day. By the way,  Frank' s skill at finding mo'  teeth is legendary. Good luck.

29 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Hi Dave. It would be great to see you in New Jersey more often. Hopefully we'll get a chance to wade the streams in Monmouth, New Jersey together some day. By the way,  Frank' s skill at finding mo'  teeth is legendary. Good. Luck.

I told Frank that I would try to come down again over the winter. Maybe January.