fossil rock found on a beach

benw

I am seeing the skeleton of a head with a big open mouth, a spine with ribs, hind legs, and a long tail, in addition to the bone-supported frill.

Would it be possible that it was some type of ancient animal resembling frilled-neck lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii) ?

fossil-1-notes.jpg

fossil-4-notes.jpg

frilled-lizard.png

Highly unlikely. This is a marine fossil. As others have said, pecten hash seems the most probable in this case. The "frill" is diagnostically shell ribbing. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

41 minutes ago, benw said:

I am seeing the skeleton of a head with a big open mouth, a spine with ribs, hind legs, and a long tail, in addition to the bone-supported frill.

Would it be possible that it was some type of ancient animal resembling frilled-neck lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii) ?

No. The objects which you are seeing in the stone are obviously pieces of bivalve shell for people with experience.

25 minutes ago, benw said:

It appears that the bottom part of the rock resembles a snake.

Yes it does seem to resemble a snake spine to a certain extent, which is why you think it is one, although if you dug into the matrix you would see that it continues inward and is flat like a shell. The phenomenon which makes you imagine what you are seeing is called pareidolia. Like staring at clouds or a linoleum floor pattern.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Scallop type shell hash, as stated before. 

Sorry, ... No skulls, skeletons, or bones. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me