England Trip - London to Cambridgeshire to Dorset

JamieLynn

Just got back from a trip to England - still fighting the jet lag a bit! 7 hours time difference makes for interesting sleep patterns! Thought y'all might want to see what I all I found in Great Britain! Of course, we started in London, doing all the London things, including the Natural History Museum! Got to see Mary Annings plesioarus and mosasaurs. And the archeoptyrix! And the dino room!!  And much much much more.....whew. 

5d7e9be44b9ef_england-Copy.jpg.2867ba53438c54ce5ce26fd5bf4a6f4c.jpg   england.jpg.3a8bafc090c595c79a753506b7b2056f.jpg

Left London to visit friends in Bury St. Edmund, near Cambridge. We went to see the Sutton Hoo burial near Ramsholt in Suffolk which I had heard of a fossil hunting spot there- didn't really get to look much because there was a boat burning at the docks.....so fire trucks and smoke and commotion. I found out later that the main hunting area was a 45 minute hike from the waterfront, so I kind of missed out. Wasn't really prepared to hike that far, with friends who aren't really into fossil hunting, so I contented myself with poking along the water front and found a couple of little things.... (not the shell, I found that embedded in the dirt at Framlingham Castle, not sure if it is a fossil or just a shell). I'm not really sure what any of them are, the bullet shape I was assuming was a cephalopod, but it might be a phragmocone and I really don't know what the little round one is, perhaps a vertebra?  I didn't have a coin for scale, but the little round is 3/4 inch.

IMG_20190909_032717.thumb.jpg.86893eb9c25e0e627dfce0ef1c2b7aff.jpg

Next on the fossil tour was Yaxley Hampton Vale lake near Petersborough. I had heard it was a good spot, if somewhat picked over, but I found it to be quite good! I didn't find any ammonites (which I was hoping for) or crinoids (although my friend who was driving found a HUGE crinoid stem - beginners luck, the rat). But found a nice sized belemnite, plus these those neat little white spicule things. I saw them ID'd somewhere a while back (sponges, I think) , but now I can't seem to find what they are called, so if you know, please let me know! 

DSCN4135.thumb.JPG.2f70e2c8cd654cf18c2eff978fb28daf.JPG

A Swan at Yaxley: 5d7ea187e3878_6Day6a(1).thumb.JPG.db33c2aa07c96f533bfcc8e683b47f0b.JPG

But the highlight of the trip was a guided tour around Weymouth, with the interesting and outspoken Adrian Davies! He picked us up and toured us all around Portland Island and Weymouth with info on the history of the town plus stops for fossil hunting! First stop was to a cobble beach with "roach stones"...what we in Texas call Rattlesnake Rock. My husband found a dolphin spine washed up (I really wanted to take some of the vertebra, but decided they might not let me back in the US)! You can see all the cobbles around the dolphin. 

5d7ea30e8a1ac_8Day8a(17).thumb.jpg.c38ddcdc406f0db3c0ed0f906f237ad8.jpg

My "roachstones"

roachstone.jpg.d05884748ac1cfd758b837f55d467fef.jpg

The view from Portland looking back toward Weymouth: 

5d7ea1f5585d3_8Day8a(8).thumb.JPG.3ea8bd16b615b1ff8209e56779345139.JPG

And the best for last - my finds of ammonites (16 of which are pyrite!) , crinoids, belemnites, a phragmocone, a sponge and a bit of bone plus some other stuff: 

DSCN4132.thumb.JPG.2177209b66ed0297517bc0c2ff8c57d8.JPG

A few more pics of my finds: 

DSCN4184.thumb.JPG.162bcab47a2745cd8b87ee7790768e76.JPG

DSCN4192.thumb.JPG.3a580820e2e07fefdfe87025bffe0611.JPG

DSCN4196.thumb.JPG.370ea50118044a075af019ee5229498e.JPG

Me with my nose to the ground- it was a bit chilly and windy...and then I came home to the Texas heat.. And then a day later, I went to the Quarry at Midlothian on a 100 degree day.

But that's another story.....

jamie.jpg.09e7215c5a5e4ea8705b43e4ea532d5f.jpg

• I found this Informative 16

Great trip report! Glad that you had such an interesting and successful trip. Those ammonites are quite nice. Your other finds are not too shabby either!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, JamieLynn said:

Wasn't really prepared to hike that far, with friends who aren't really into fossil hunting

:o whaaa?!

Hmm, sounds like you need to get some different friends!  :default_rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

This would make for a nice wallpaper for your computer home screen.

20190915_145259.png

Every time you click on the computer, it will be a reminder of your trip. :)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Cool trip! Up until a year ago i lived literally opposite Sutton Hoo! The walk from Ramsholt is a long one! If you ever end up in deep dark Suffolk again let me know and i would be more than happy to show you a few places in the area.

• I found this Informative 1

me too! It was a special find! Adrian has one that is not crushed at all....AND pyratized ....looks like a beautiful metal ornament. But he gets to hunt there every day, so I think my find is not too shabby for a first time out! hahhaha

DSCN4212.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Sounds like you had an excellent excursion. I really love how you have arranged and photographed your finds from Weymouth, it's quite pleasing to the eye!

Sounds like a great trip, We all love the Jurassic coast :thumbsu: too.

hope you saw the amazing Stegosaurus skeleton in the Earth Hall at the NHM. The best one in my opinion

6 minutes ago, trilo said:

hope you saw the amazing Stegosaurus skeleton in the Earth Hall at the NHM. The best one in my opinion

Is it's thagomizer intact?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

nice fins, careful as pyrite stuff especially if still salty, will begin to rot very quickly if not treated

On 9/15/2019 at 2:40 PM, JamieLynn said:

DSCN4192.thumb.JPG.3a580820e2e07fefdfe87025bffe0611.JPG

:wub:...awesome!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

23 hours ago, JohnBrian said:

Is it's thagomizer intact?

its almost a complete skeleton and one of the best preserved one too. all four thagomizer are present and nearly perfect.

Just check out on the nhm London homepage- you can see a 3D view model and read more details of it and its history

outstanding display I tell you

On 9/20/2019 at 7:34 AM, deutscheben said:

Sounds like you had an excellent excursion. I really love how you have arranged and photographed your finds from Weymouth, it's quite pleasing to the eye!

Thank you! I have almost as much fun photographing them as I do finding them! Almost.....

On 9/20/2019 at 5:14 PM, trilo said:

Yes indeed!! It was interesting how they have the dinos elevated...the light shines through them and makes interesting shadows! 

Great account of what must have been a great trip!

@JamieLynn "these neat little white spicule things" in your second fossil pic - they're serpulid tubes, Genicularia vertebralis. A distinctive species from the Oxford Clay (Callovian).

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

• 8 months later...

@JamieLynn I know I am a bit late to the conversation but a top tip for Hampton Vale is to take a sieve and wet sieve the silt from just into the water. Here the water had eroded it out of the cliffs and is much more productive. I found some beautiful little ammonites and lots of gastropods with some nice fish and shark teeth. Also on my first trip I found some fish jaw segments so it is defo worth doing. But be careful with pyritised fossils as they need to be soaked to avoid decay!

Harry

14 hours ago, Harry_ said:

@JamieLynn I know I am a bit late to the conversation but a top tip for Hampton Vale is to take a sieve and wet sieve the silt from just into the water. Here the water had eroded it out of the cliffs and is much more productive. I found some beautiful little ammonites and lots of gastropods with some nice fish and shark teeth. Also on my first trip I found some fish jaw segments so it is defo worth doing. But be careful with pyritised fossils as they need to be soaked to avoid decay!

Harry

Wow...yeah..that would have been a good idea!!!  Perhaps someday I will get to return and I will take that advice! I was happy I at did at least find some stuff surface collecting so was not at all disappointed!